where to start to build an SMPS - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2008, 12:45 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I appreciate the genuine concern of wakibaki regarding the emission of EMI/environmental pollution. Wakibaki is really a law abiding citizen of this world, who always think in bigger prospective and which is actually required for us all and specially for the leaders of his/every countries before indulging themselves in any harmful actions like involving in unjust war and engendering the environment by dropping million of Missiles/Bombs/Chemical agents on people/country, which is ultimately endanger our environment/ very existence. Sometimes they adopt measures like creating EMI for obstructing the radio signal/telecommunication, radar etc. which is more harmful than what jegandren is trying to do. I hope, wakibaki's concern will be heeded by all including his/our leaders.

However, jegandren, you please abide by the rules and regulations and continue your effort regarding smps, which is a just and noble effort.

Old 17th July 2008, 01:58 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote by S.G. Mahbub

"...................specially for the leaders of his/every countries before indulging themselves in any harmful actions like involving in unjust war and engendering the environment by dropping million of Missiles/Bombs/Chemical agents on people/country.........etc "

This is a DIY audio forum and I think we should restrict the discussion to matters relating to electronic/acoustic design.
I think this post is getting political and that has no place here.
You can try forums that cater to that trend of thought.

You have a right to vent your personal opinions on anything you want but with this kind of material it would be nice if you took it on to a forum that caters to such discussion.

Trust you are otherwise having a great time building and discussing audio matters with like minded members.
Cheers.
Old 17th July 2008, 02:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Dear S.G. Mahbub. Please stay on topic. Political discussion or remarks are not allowed.
Old 17th July 2008, 02:51 PM   #24
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

While you are at it, would you please change your sig line so it isn't all caps and eliminate those annoying question marks. It's all very distracting.

Thank you.
Old 17th July 2008, 03:54 PM   #25
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
Hi jegandren, some of the posts above mention the importance of getting a prototype working & I agree.

Half of anything in engineering is actually trying to get it working, not just simulating it or putting it "on paper."

I built several SMPS units for a giant car chip amp amplifier I built (in photo). Also I modified the same design for my +260V tube preamp SMPS.

I can tell you that the only way I got real progress and discovered real-world problems that I didn't expect was by:

1. Building a rough prototype...in my case etched my own PCB
2. Figuring out how (and with what parts) to build the transformer
3. Verifying the SMPS IC is working ok
4. Testing, debugging, and fixing a the little mistakes!
5. ...and so on.. (RC snubbers, optional regulation, etc.)

I did not see where you specified the power requirements & output voltages required, but it's fairly easy to get a "split rail" (both positive & negative voltages) step-up design working. You can look at the high-power 12V car SMPS designs on the web as a starting point.

Now, if you mean step-down AC-DC SMPS, I'm not sure about that.

PS: You need to be sure to keep plenty of MOSFETs on hand!!!

Good luck

EDIT: Ooops, I guess you did mean AC power source?? If so please overlook unrelated topics in my post.
Old 17th July 2008, 04:18 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Cal Weldon,
Thank you for letting me know.
I have changed my sig from caps. But I do not see any question marks.

Thank you.

Old 17th July 2008, 04:25 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Cal Weldon,

You said:

Quote:
While you are at it, would you please change your sig line so it isn't all caps and eliminate those annoying question marks. It's all very distracting.
You mentioned "While you are at it". Does that mean you do not want me to be a member of DIY Audio? If you want, I can quit your forum.

Thanks.

Old 17th July 2008, 04:49 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by S.G. Mahbub

I have changed my sig from caps. But I do not see any question marks.

ͤ ͯ˗ͯ ͤ ǰ Ͱä ͪd
It is this last bit that Cal is talking about... it is, i'm guessing, meant to be a line in a non-roman letter language -- it is showing up in Cal's browser as question marks, in mine as a row of glyphs (all the same) and as jibberish in the edit window,

We welcome everyone (who is willing to broadly follow the rules) to the forum. We try to be very liberal but we do insist on keeping things civil.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png glyphs.png (5.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 17th July 2008, 04:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Dear S.G. Mahbub ,
I think you misunderstand the term "While you are at it".
It means , while you are doing one thing ( editing.........changing caps ) do something else also.
In this case the character below your sig line. On my browser it looks like empty squares.........lots of them ! It doesn't really mean anything and does take up some bytes of storage . Takes many drops of water to make the ocean !
You shouldn't get upset at such small things .
Old 17th July 2008, 05:11 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Dear planet10,
In Unicode, the Bengali meaning of my sig is written. Since it is in Unicode, it should be visible to the viewer. I use Mozilla Firefox and I can clearly see what I have written. I have seen it in other computers also.

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!