Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2008, 09:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ben62670
Default New to tubes need ps advice

Well I am taking my first attempt at tube pre's. The design I am looking at calls for either 300vdc/0vdc, or +150vdc/-150vdc. What I need is help figuring out what transformer would be needed, and amperage for driving up to 6 tubes. Which voltage would be better SQ wise?
Thanks again.
Ben
Old 16th June 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Those are pretty different requirements and a simple "six tubes" isn't enough information to go on. What particular circuit are you building? With some specifics in hand, you'll get lots of help here.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks SY
What I am looking to do is build a line level active tube XO for a 3 way system. The tubes recommended by the program I am using are...
6N1P
6AQ8
6BS8
12AT7
12AV7
Of coarse I want great SQ, at a low price
The program I am using is TJC Filter designer.
Ben
Old 17th June 2008, 01:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

A three-way crossover is a very ambitious project for any designer.

Each of those tubes will take wildly different amounts of current to run optimally. That's one of the design considerations, and you'll perhaps end up with a mix. But if you want to plan for worst-case choices, let's say you're burning 15mA through each triode section, you've got six tubes, twelve sections, that's 180mA. If you're going to regulate the rails, figure the regulator to have another 10-20mA of overhead, so you're up to 200.

Now you need to think about the heaters.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about a rat shack 12 0 12, or a 6.3 0 6.3 depending on the tube selection. Both are rated at 2 amps. What I really need to know is what voltage trans former I need to get the 300vdc, or +150vdc/-150vdc, and the currant requirement. I have been looking for transformers, and have no idea what to get. I wanted build an unregulated PS.
Thanks
Ben
Old 17th June 2008, 02:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

I have one word for you (ok, one acronym for you): PSUD II available at Duncan Amplification's website.

Hide this!Advertise here!