PSU Design Check Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of making a small batch of PCB's for a universal amplifier PSU. I would be greatfull if you could check my design before I progress further. Thanks.

Component values are likely to change, I have just allowed for the bigest I may need.

psu.jpg

I completely agree. But the larger amp will reguire the bigger caps. I thought it would be easier to product 1 multi purpose board rather than 2 different ones. Especially as I will probably need to order sufficient to use a sheet of material, maybe 12 -15 boards.

I am thinking of selling a few of the excess to recoup some of the costs. A more "adaptable" board may possibly find a few extra takers.

I think you should choose a Caps which will optimize the design. choosing a very high value caps are not necessary for this kind of application.

What is the current rating you are thinking of offering? Calculate caps which will give lesser than specified ripple noise.

you can even use an inductor in series, still the cost will be lesser that using 22mF caps.

1. Use a single FWB. We've been through this before, you are literally burning away twice the voltage for absolutely no gain.
2. Way too much capacitance. You'll have poor power factor (0.5 or less!) and the possibility of induced ground loop anywhere near the power lines. If your circuit actually needs this little ripple, it's honestly a terrible circuit, reconsider your priorities.
3. Those poly caps won't do anything, even if the electrolytics have terrible ESR.
4. The layout shows hair thin AC tracks, was that intended to replace the fuses at the other end? :)

Tim

Don't use groundfill, use point to point (star earthing).

Take no notice of what I said, groundfill is fine for power supplies, I've just spiced it. I do recommend though that in place of the big caps you use a few smaller ones in parallel, and put series resistors of lowish values between groups of them. This gives a worthwhile improvement to the HF ripple (where it matters more because the chipamp's PSRR is falling off with increasing frequency).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.