Problem with LT1083 PSU...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've made a (combined) regulated symmetrical power supply with two LT1083 + LM317 + LM337.. Which is;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I use a toroidal trafo with two independent 30v AC outputs (225VA) and two seperated 35A rectifiers plus 10,000u main reservoirs before this circuit. And the V+/V- would be 30v each.
However, I cannot read any voltage on main negative rail (V-) while main positive rail (V+ to GND = 30v) and input of that negative rail (DC2+ to DC2- = 42v) is exist. And the second thing is the bottom LT1083 gets warm a bit while the other was still cold!
Anyway,
Do you see any unsuitability on that circuit design? May LM337 causes that kind of fault? Because I cannot imagine any other suspect..

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Your PSU design is absolutely OK. I made it that way a couple of times, everything works like a charm. You probably made an error in wiring or on PCB or you have a faulty component - double check everything, step by step, piece by piece - don't give up - it must work !

On the first view i also couldn't find any bug in your schematic, but could you explain me how much current you do expect with this circuit ? Low drop out indeed, but two regs in series ? one 7.5 A and then 1.5 A ? hmm ... :scratch2: I don't think you'll need the diodes D1,2 ... As far as i remember the LT1083 has an internal protection ...

best regards
artQuake

Hi Dxvideo,

You are using a trafo that outputs 30 Vac, rectified raw, should put out more than 40Vdc, as you measured @ 42Vdc. per winding, feeding; Whew! The LT1083, a fixed +ve reggie, which, assuming is a 12Vdc output, it's recommended input is 25Vdc. Max 30Vdc. Aren't you stretching the LT1083 a fair bit here. Then it feeds the LM reggie. Even if everything works, I don't see how you are going to get +/- 15Vdc output from a +/- 12 Vdc input.

Then, you have to consider that a +ve reggie, although it may be utilised to regulate and produce -ve voltage, but it may only work in a single stand alone loop only. In your circuit, you have 2 loops; ie; a +ve loop and -ve loop combined. May not work!

Try this, remove the LT1083 on the -ve DC2 side and jumper wire in it's place. Power up and see if you can obtain a -ve voltage at output of LM337. If yes, then it is confirmed that LT1083 cannot be used here.

Usually 1 reggie per loop is sufficient. You don't need 2 in series for your circuit.

Regards,
Gerard

Hi V,
one can use two positive regulators to generate a dual polarity supply if there are separate secondaries and separate rectifiers for each positive regulator.
Once these are tied together to give a zero volt line the following regulators must be pos+neg to give lower voltage dual polarity supplies.

He has been told to buy the correct voltage transformer, but he's made his mind up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.