Transformer winding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a new SMPS inverter, 300W. I need help with the transformer winding. And I also want to know what frequency is ideal if I am using an ETD39 or ECR40 type ferrite core.
Which IR MOSFET is best for use over here? (I am asking for IR MOSFETs because we can not find MOSFETs from other manufacturers in Bangladesh.)

etd and ecr cores are special type E cores produced for high frequency smps use. If you use etd 39/ecr40 core, you can get 250 watt if frequency is 25 kHz, 350 watt if frequency is 50 kHz and 450 watt with 100 kHz. Very useful ha!!
I made 250 watt high frequency inverter with ecr 40 core and my turns were as follows:
Primary-- -- 3-0-3
Secondary-- 73
My frequency was 25 KHZ .
One should be very careful while making ferrite core transformer. It is better to be Primary to be set first.

Actually I am a student of class VIII. I cannot buy the parts myself all the time.
Last February, I went to New Delhi with my father to see the electronics fair in Pragati Maidan. There I found different companies producing Ferrite Core. One of the companies, Hinoloy, presented me 3 ETD39 and 3 ECR40 cores and the engineer told me that these cores are useful for high frequency inverter. From then on, I am doing test and trial with these cores.
I produced one high frequency inverter for 200W capability but it gets hot after fifteen minutes or so and cannot withstand more than 20W for longer duration. Once I tried with 200W bulb and it could take the load for fifteen minutes, but after that all the parts became hot and could not take the load. Probably my configuration regarding frequency, turn, driver and MOSFETs require detailed modification. I require help from everyone for that reason.

PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS REGARD.

maybe you r too early for this kind of electronics involve lethal voltage would kill u or injure u seriously, obviously its not a beginner kind of think, safety is must,

for ips u really need two stage inverter , first one 12v dc to 22v dc , second one 220v dc to 220v ac , if u want to use inductive load like fan ,

u can make the transformer as golam mentioned , make sure the frequency is ~25khz to ~30khz and not less then 23khz or u would go into core saturation when temperature of the core rises, it seems u already having this problem after 15 min of 200 watt load, for now u can use irfz44 or irf3205 or whatever u have in ur hand, just put each set of mosfet on separate heatsink, use tight layout with minimum ground loop for mosfet to gate driver, so the mosfet will work properly and dont get hot and start to smoke,

For the last two years, I have been deeply associated with electronics. I have been trained intensively by my father and have undergone different courses. I have already constructed a 300 Watt Linear IPS which I am using in my room.
Linear system is inefficient and bulky transformer is required, which is a real nuisance. That's why I am moving onto SMPS. For the last six months I have tested different SMPS circuits and am now quite confident that I can tackle such complex circuits. I have read different books on SMPS written by renowned power electronics writers.
Obviously, this is all going alongside my studies and schoolwork. Power electronics is my hobby. I have a complete laboratory in my house. I hope, with the guidance of you all, I can make my circuits effective and successful.

Where comes the matter of core saturation, I do not see how that would occur, because my oscillator is running at 30kHz.
But probably, some error in my circuit is causing heating. (This is my view.)
Anyway, I am constructing a new control circuit and transformer according to the details given by golam.
Special thanks to golam for the transformer details and areza also for the explanation.

don't bother for core saturation. ETD/ECr core can withstand upto 300 KHZ. Make sure that sg3525 circuit is constructed for high frequency as most of the circuits in internet is for 50 HZ. Make the Battery voltage as clean as possible with adequate filtering. Provide snubber circuit for controlling ringing and provide Zener diode for each mosfet(gate to source/ground) and that should be 18 volt if your Battery power is 12 volt. After converting AC 220 v, use high frequency diodes for dc conversion and use inductor and also adequate capacitors for filtering and use more numbers to offset ESR problem of the capacitors. Your dc to dc conversion is complete. If you want to go further and want to use in your house as ips, convert the dc voltage to ac by full bridge circuit.
I will give you some tips regarding full bridge circuit to convert dc 220v to 220v ac for use in your home next time. Not so difficult ha ha ha!!

Be careful regarding capacitors with lethal high voltage. If you are testing in open circuit, please discharge the capacitors after each test.
Be careful again from the high voltage charged capacitors. Otherwise it will be easier for you to go to God. Not fun- ha ha ha!!!

If you want to make full bridge circuit for converting 220v dc to 220v ac,you should use mosfets with min. 500v capacity. you can use 4 nos. of irfp 460. Since 2 mosfets will be of high side and 2 in low side, you should use mosfet drivers with high side(with floating ground) and low side capability. So, you can use 1 sg3525 and 2 ir2110 drivers. Use proper output inductor and decoupling capacitors. Your 220v ips is ready for use. Very easy-ha ha!!
If you use open circuit for testing, discharge the charged capacitors before putting hand on any parts on the circuit.

golam said:
etd and ecr cores are special type E cores produced for high frequency smps use. If you use etd 39/ecr40 core, you can get 250 watt if frequency is 25 kHz, 350 watt if frequency is 50 kHz and 450 watt with 100 kHz. Very useful ha!!
I made 250 watt high frequency inverter with ecr 40 core and my turns were as follows:
Primary-- -- 3-0-3
Secondary-- 73
My frequency was 25 KHZ .
One should be very careful while making ferrite core transformer. It is better to be Primary to be set first.

250w is right, but at 48k you get 467w, 935w at 96k...
100kHz is high freq...

golam said:
If you want to make full bridge circuit for converting 220v dc to 220v ac,you should use mosfets with min. 500v capacity. you can use 4 nos. of irfp 460. Since 2 mosfets will be of high side and 2 in low side, you should use mosfet drivers with high side(with floating ground) and low side capability. So, you can use 1 sg3525 and 2 ir2110 drivers. Use proper output inductor and decoupling capacitors. Your 220v ips is ready for use. Very easy-ha ha!!
If you use open circuit for testing, discharge the charged capacitors before putting hand on any parts on the circuit.
Or you could use trafo to drive all 4 fets... + if you use 220v and chop and invert it you will get voltage that would be same as 155vAc...235vAc that I have here has peak of 330v, so you should think what would be better for inverter to put out: 220v peak or more...

golam, i m sure u talking about pure sine wave inverter , if so then I have to mention that u need 310v dc to produce 220v ac which is in RMS value ,

There are many things one have to look at when designing a class d style dc to ac inverter, not so easy though , specially transient voltage , filter design , cross conduction , switching loss on high voltage, and many more.

dont get confuse , core saturation is not related to frequency rather it related to voltage and time,

Posted by luka
Or you could use trafo to drive all 4 fets... + if you use 220v and chop and invert it you will get voltage that would be same as 155vAc...235vAc that I have here has peak of 330v, so you should think what would be better for inverter to put out: 220v peak or more...

Luka, is it not easier, less troublesome and more convenient to use dedicated gate driver ICs instead of using transformer for gate driving.
ICs have in-built system of making floating ground for high side MOSFET driving. But if we use transformer, should we use three separate transformers or three separate windings for ensuring floating ground for high side MOSFET driving.
It is easier to use ICs like IR2110 instead of the troublesome transformer. Is that not true?

Posted by luka
250w is right, but at 48k you get 467w, 935w at 96k...

I have got the information from Tauscher Co. of Germany which produce good quality cores. I have collected some of their etd/ecr cores from China and used for my inverters. I used them for making 250 watt capacity ips. Those information from Tauscher Co. may be for continuous duty and for using 2/4 hours for ips, I think more wattage can be produced as duty cycle is less.
I tried to make 600 watt with those core with 80 KHZ but it becomes very hot and I am reverted back to 250/300 wattage.
For safe use over 500 watt, one require to use ETD-44 core- according to the Company.

Posted by luka.
If transformer is used for driving 4 mosfets, for high side 2 mosfets, 2 separate windings required for ensuring no short circuiting and 1 winding for 2 low side. Transformer can be used with the criteria I have mentioned or Mosfets will be destroyed immediately with boom !! 3 separate transformers required or one transformer with 3 output windings required for separate floating grounds for 2 high side mosfets and 1 for 2 low side mosfets.
Instead of using transformer, one can use 1 sg3525 and 2 drivers as I mentioned. Choice is different. One can choose according to preference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.