Capacitance Multiplier on SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted this in the Class-D area but no replies - it's probably more suited to this forum!

Has anybody tried this to reduce HF noise on SMPS. AFAIK cap mult acts as an inductor & so HF is attenuated more. Would this be a good way of removing the HF spikes on these PS?

I'm thinking of improving my CD/DVD players as well as a digital amp that use SMPS

The idea and some oscilloscope shots are here as part of an interesting discussion on how to improve 3 pin voltage regulators: http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/3pin_reg_notes2.html

Yea, my simplistic thinking on this was that most, if not all, of the noise on the supply of a SMPS tends to be well outside the audio band up around the switching freq & this is where a gyrator or cap multiplier has it's biggest attenuation.

I just wanted to check out with some of the SMPS experts here if there is any gotchas before I try it out on real equipment!

I wouldn't expect a capacitance multiplier to have very good attenuation at the >1MHz frequencies of interest. It should have the same problem as the 3 terminal regulators tested in that link.

And why would you need it? The cap values required are small. An RC or LC filter will work much better.

jkeny said:
I posted this in the Class-D area but no replies - it's probably more suited to this forum!

Has anybody tried this to reduce HF noise on SMPS. AFAIK cap mult acts as an inductor & so HF is attenuated more. Would this be a good way of removing the HF spikes on these PS?

I'm thinking of improving my CD/DVD players as well as a digital amp that use SMPS

The idea and some oscilloscope shots are here as part of an interesting discussion on how to improve 3 pin voltage regulators: http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/3pin_reg_notes2.html

EMC radiated emissions is a royal pain to tackle with SMPS...
I have designed PWM chips with dither in the clock to spread spectrum the noise, thus lowering the amplitudes of the noise...
The other option is to use quasi resonant circuit...

cerrem

jkeny said:

I have designed PWM chips with dither in the clock to spread spectrum the noise, thus lowering the amplitudes of the noise...

cerrem

Re: Re: Capacitance Multiplier on SMPS

cerrem said:

cerrem
Isn't the simplest solution just enclosing the power supply in a metal box?

EMI is mostly radiated by external wiring so metal enclosures are not of great help.

The most useful filtering is common-mode and its purpose is to keep input and output grounds at the same RF potential. Then differential-mode filtering attenuates the remaining RF components before they reach the wiring.

A capacitance multiplier is mostly useless in comparison with a LC filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.