Power Supply Topologies - Survey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

Just to gather a on our community's shared experience, I would like to make a bit of a survey along the converter topologies available to us.

The Texas Instruments Power Supplies Topologies Poster (pdf) gives a nice start on what topologies are available and what their characteristics are, but it does not give the most useful knowledge: Practical Experience.

There should also be room available to more exotic converter topologies like the Weinberg Converter, which is now used for space applications.

To give a head start, I'll begin with my favorite converter: The Boost Converter.

- It is widely used in commercial power supplies, often as Power Factor Correction supplies.
- Can yield efficiencies between 94% up to 98% or even 99% when synchronous rectification is used.
- For DC-DC conversion, the Right-Half-Plane Zero Effect causes a control problem when output current control is applied. This will limit the control bandwidth for the outer voltage control loop
- Can be made very compact.

I hope we can make a good repository of experience in this thread.

- Bakmeel

Well, I'd like to try to work around that a bit, because the choice of topology often needs a bit of "feeling" with the different topologies available.

For example, you could say that Flyback converters are very nice to use for isolating converters, up to a certain power range. But it is rather experience that tells you where that power level limit is..

Also, I'd like to find out about what typical effieciencies can be achieved with -for example- push-pull converters.

That will give a "general" picture as you said, but that was basically the picture I wanted to draw.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.