Super Regs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I have searched this forum & have spent many hours wading through all of the great info herein.

But therein lies my problem & hence the (all be it) leading question: There is just SO much information.

So, yes, I did eventually end up at Andy Weake's excellent website, and stepped through his progressivly better SuperReg pages...

... only to get right to the end ...

... to the best design ...

... and bosh! Missing diagrams!

Arrrggh. I guess he may have taken this final design off as he now sells them commercially?

Any 'up to date' pointers would therefore be much appreciated.

Andy

I wonder how these super reg circuits would compare to using something like the LME49600 as a regulator. With 250mA there is enough current for preamp stages and stuff. See page 16 of the datasheet to see the circuits. Seems simple enough but would be wide bandwidth and fast compared to a simple linear regulator IC.

-SL

SpittinLLama said:
I wonder how these super reg circuits would compare to using something like the LME49600 as a regulator. With 250mA there is enough current for preamp stages and stuff. See page 16 of the datasheet to see the circuits. Seems simple enough but would be wide bandwidth and fast compared to a simple linear regulator IC.

-SL

I've got my parts (LME49600 etc) and am going to compare to the Jung/Janneman etc boards from AX and my own PCB's with the AD797 and AD825.

The LME49600 only became available at DK and Future within the past few days.

underwurlde said:
Yes, I have searched this forum & have spent many hours wading through all of the great info herein.

But therein lies my problem & hence the (all be it) leading question: There is just SO much information.

So, yes, I did eventually end up at Andy Weake's excellent website, and stepped through his progressivly better SuperReg pages...

... only to get right to the end ...

... to the best design ...

... and bosh! Missing diagrams!

Arrrggh. I guess he may have taken this final design off as he now sells them commercially?

Any 'up to date' pointers would therefore be much appreciated.

Andy
This is good
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20937&highlight=

40 Super regulator links Not everyone goes the classical super regulator.

AndrewT said:
The "must read" are the series of regulator articles on the Walt Jung site.
Read and re-read and ask until you understand the full content.

The articles by WJ and our own Janneman were in AudioXpress in 1995, and WJ had a smaller article in EDN a little later -- I can always get Mr. Didden's attention by quoting him to the effect of:

"It oscillates now what???"

I have not had a lot of success mounting smt electrolytics.
A trick if you are going to solder those by hand: Make the pads so they are visible with room for the solder iron tip.

Put fresh tin on the cap

Put tin on a pad and let the cap slide in with the tin still melted.

Solder the other pad.

My latest SMD design is the SSB01, diamond buffer and here I have enlarged the pads somewhat. It the moment I can't reach my homepage but you can try later on to take a look at it.

Jack, I recommend wider power traces and you could also go for ground plane with special care taken to the signal ground at the right.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.