Super Regs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Almost a year later, here's the version I am going to work with -- mostly surface mount, save the rectifier diodes and electrolytic caps -- I have not had a lot of success mounting smt electrolytics. The reference for each is the LM4040:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks very nice Jack, I'm looking forward to some results from you. I've looked into using a high performance opamp buffer in a different regulator as well, but then dropped the idea. Is the lm4040 a reasonably low noise reference in reality? I have no experience with it.

Jack, is this your new reg? I meant to ask how it was coming along.

It's the design from the LME49600 datasheet, nothing original there. The open loop bandwidth of the LMe49600 is 110MHz (180MHz if the bandwidth pin is brought to Vee).

I strongly suspect that it is a layout issue, since all of the connections are correct per the schematic. I did have a layout issue with the SOT-23 LM4040 which I fixed.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Did you use an output cap at all? There's also Jimmie D. Felps' trick with the small resistor in series with the output, for stopping crazy opamps oscillation (applies only to driving capacitive loads, but worth trying because it's so easy).

Jack, why do you feed the opamp from the unregulated side? You have missed decoupling of the LME chip plus rather long small trace. For a Super Regulator compactness is a virtue, don't you agree Mr. Didden?

Unlike the Super-Reg -- I don't see how this one starts if you attempt to feed it from the regulated side. In the Super Reg there is current flowing to start it going.

Unlike the Super-Reg -- I don't see how this one starts ............. the Super Reg........ current flowing to start it going.
there is a whole section on start up.
It's inherent in the design.

You too must design for self starting.

There are others that cannot do this and then he/she organised a Group Buy with a non reliable starting and oscillating regulator.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
There are others that cannot do this and then he/she organised a Group Buy with a non reliable starting and oscillating regulator.

It always amazes me how things happen sometimes in the real world. There are huge GB started on projects that aren't anywhere near stability/completeness, and then there are well tested and performing circuits and nobody's going for those. Puzzling. :rolleyes:

Well, forget about the LME49600 Regulator -- here are some results --

A Weighted level measurements -- a.c. coupled with 15mA load -- shielded by my Oreo Cookie Tin:

78L15 (ST Micro) RMS 26.9uV, Quasi-Peak 44.3uV
LM317 (National, No adj bypass) RMS 181uV, Q-Peak 289uV
Super-Regulator (LT1028 error amp) RMS 2.2uV, Q-Peak 3.6uV

LME49600 (LM4040 Ref) RMS 347uV, Q-Peak 564uV

My advice to you, young man, get the Super-Reg boards from Old Colony and stop wasting your time.

The Super Reg is only slightly noisier than the battery.

Yes, I have searched this forum & have spent many hours wading through all of the great info herein.

But therein lies my problem & hence the (all be it) leading question: There is just SO much information.

So, yes, I did eventually end up at Andy Weake's excellent website, and stepped through his progressivly better SuperReg pages...

... only to get right to the end ...

... to the best design ...

... and bosh! Missing diagrams!

Arrrggh. I guess he may have taken this final design off as he now sells them commercially?

Any 'up to date' pointers would therefore be much appreciated.

Andy
The documention can be found if you click at the links :idea: Have you checked Walt Jung's webpage. All you have to know is there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.