PS Problem: How do I Reduce Voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on an active tube DI, based on the Altec 1566A:

power_2b.jpg

I had to sub out the power transformer, but the new one is fairly close to the one called out in the schematic: It puts out 120VAC at 93 mA, and the filament is 6.3VAC at 1A. I'm inexperienced at best, but I did follow the schematic and the connections etc. are all good.

The filament side is fine, a little high at 6.8VDC but that seems at least in the ballpark. The problem is the B+; even bumping R9 up to 9500ohms, the lowest voltages I can get are 345VDC at "2" and 240VDC or so at "1."

In short: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming I'm going to need to introduce a regulator of some kind; I have a spare LM350 but I need a plan!

-Seth

Hmm...no. I suppose it couldn't hurt. But either way, something seems real off here. Supposedly:

2(146 * sqrt(2))= 412Vdc

which is actually just about what I got with the PT unloaded.

I'm just trying to figure out if this transformer is going to work at all or if there's a way to lose 25V or so right off the bat....

-Seth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.