Rising DC voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

is there any simple way to rise DC voltage by a few 10th of volts?

I sometimes run my laptop from a 12v SLA battery, using a car/home laptop power adapter.

I can get about 2.5 hours from a 7Ah SLA battery, but I should be able to run it for at least 4 hours, considering the original LiIon 4Ah battery (now lasts 20minutes) originally worked for 2.5 hours.

I'm under the impression that it's caused by the fact that the adapter runs from a minimum DC voltage of 11.75V, and that the battery is supposed to be empty at about 11.4V.

Would there be a simple way to rise the voltage a bit to get a few extra hours out of the battery?

Erm,Not really..

I suppose you could make a SMPS that took a 10-13V input,and output a regulated 11.75V or whatever voltage is required. It may not be the most efficient SMPS ever,but might be do-able.

Can you reduce the load at all? Any unused hardware connected?
Remove any PCMCIA and USB devices when they are not in use.

Perhaps stick a flexible solar panel on the back of the screen? It could trickle the charge the battery a bit,would give you a bit more runtime,and help keep the battery voltage up a tad bit more?
(Flexible) solar panels are kind of expensive,so this may not be very practical.

Edit:
One other thought,If you are using wires to connect the battery to the laptop,you could try bumping them up (down,really) a few sizes.
Heavier wire will have less resistance (loss) and you might gain a bit of voltage,if your wires are really small.

Make a simple dc-dc powersupply that gets 24V, then regulate down to about 13-14v your choice, that way you are sure to have enough voltage.

Any 12V push-pull smps primary always has 24v on it. You could get a cheap toroid choke, wrap just 10+10 turns of thick wire, do push pull and get the 24V. No secondary winding needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.