My New 12V SMPS w/Computer PSU Transformer - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2008, 06:49 AM   #21
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Quote:
Originally posted by EWorkshop1708

I also used a 2200uf for the smps remote 12V input to power chip+totem poles. It's the green cap in the picture.
You mean you use it so that chip +...have more stable voltage? I hope you seperated it from main voltage on main caps, this cap will be used same as your other input caps, which would mean current will go from that cap through narrow tracks to other caps. I used one low voltage drop, fast diode to seperate that cap from main board caps. Now cap can charge but it can't be used as part of supply
Old 25th April 2008, 06:55 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi

Quote:
I imagine a non-CT one can still be used, with a voltage doubler to get the two rails.
omg, this is use most of the times for very low loads, not for amps, did you ever see that somewhere?? voltage doubler will double voltage, not make current needed for audio setup
Old 25th April 2008, 11:23 AM   #23
RX5 is offline RX5  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EWorkshop1708

In my original posts, the CT terminal was on the transformer primary, but the lead was clipped off, so I just soldered a thick wire on it to get access to it. In the original ATX PSU it didn't use the center tap.

So its the center tap huh.. I forgot about it... yeah I recall a connection with the xformer clipped out...

I forgot how many turns there is to this winding.. 20+20 perhaps???

I think I still have some untouched ATX cores here..maybe I could play with it
Old 25th April 2008, 11:41 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luka

You mean you use it so that chip +...have more stable voltage? I hope you seperated it from main voltage on main caps, this cap will be used same as your other input caps, which would mean current will go from that cap through narrow tracks to other caps. I used one low voltage drop, fast diode to seperate that cap from main board caps. Now cap can charge but it can't be used as part of supply
Great idea. The cap and pwm is fed directly by the remote 12V wire, but to keep cap charge from going out of remote wire to main, I'll be adding a diode. Thanks
Old 3rd May 2008, 02:57 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RX5

So its the center tap huh.. I forgot about it... yeah I recall a connection with the xformer clipped out...

I forgot how many turns there is to this winding.. 20+20 perhaps???

I think I still have some untouched ATX cores here..maybe I could play with it
I've never disassembled the transformer, I have no idea how many turns there are. I just used it based on the voltages it was designed for, and because of the step-up ratio.

I figured I'd have to guess a lot when winding a Toroid, so the ATX transformer is a good start, and without the hassle of winding any coils!

I would recommend playing with a few ATX cores. I never had a use for them before, and now I wish I never threw away so many before in the past.

So, far, so good! The power supply is outputting good voltages, never gets even warm. Only thing that gets hot are the 10W 50 ohm input snubber resistors.

So far, I've been amazed how well it works. There's no heat, and lots of current. At first I assumed the heatsinks needed to be bigger, but since they are usually cold to the touch, I'm happy with what sinks I used!

Hardest part was not the power parts, but the PWM part with the TL594 and totem poles. I also learned that you MUST have a 1K pull-down resistor for the PNP side of the totem pole, or you WILL have cross-conduction. Luckily for me during testing, those big MOSFETS handled any abuse and hot temps from cross-conduction and anything else during testing. Now that it works right, they never get warm!
Old 4th May 2008, 01:07 AM   #26
RX5 is offline RX5  Philippines
diyAudio Member

well, I was just wondering if the ATX core/winding/s are really for only 50KHz switching freq(its what they are designed for).... 50KHz is (I think) low for use with switching power amplifiers??? SPS80 PS I recall, is at 90Khz?!? I dont know how 50Khz freq would interact to switching amps...

with 50KHz sw freq, you could probably use the output filter coil/s that came with the ATX....

anyways, it is a good start..It never came into my thought before, using them... AND I had thrown a way a lot of them cores before....for -OTHER- uses..
Old 4th May 2008, 07:34 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SPS80 PS I recall, is at 90Khz?!? I dont know how 50Khz freq would interact to switching amps...
But do you know why? So they can get that much power out of core while not saturating it, I think 50k would be ok...
BTW: Freq is 85kHz
Old 5th May 2008, 12:17 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hello,
with that transformer you won't get more than 300w ....The original psu had 550w peak (12x22=264 ).
Old 5th May 2008, 04:38 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dexter2003
Hello,
with that transformer you won't get more than 300w ....The original psu had 550w peak (12x22=264 ).
Thanks. I had a feeling that's what it would do based on the amperage for that coil. That's still very sufficient for the planned usage. I wonder if you keep the core cool, and use a higher frequency, if you can squeeze a few more watts from it.

I wish I had two or more identical cores so I could make another one with more power.

Thanks for all the input so far. I hope others can learn from this and make their own SMPS as well easy and cheap.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:22 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Smile hi !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWorkshop1708 View Post
Thanks. I had a feeling that's what it would do based on the amperage for that coil. That's still very sufficient for the planned usage. I wonder if you keep the core cool, and use a higher frequency, if you can squeeze a few more watts from it.

I wish I had two or more identical cores so I could make another one with more power.

Thanks for all the input so far. I hope others can learn from this and make their own SMPS as well easy and cheap.
hi how are you, could you please post the schematic?? the one that appears is low quality, please , well greets and so long

Hide this!Advertise here!