2000W Power Supply for my car audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I still think a floating battery is the way to go !!!!!

Eva said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_point

In most European countries "," is used as the decimal separator and "." as a thousands separator.
Well, they are wrong !! The full stop (.) represents the end of a sentence. The comma(,) indicates a pause. Therefore the decimal point should be a (.) not a (,) as it represents the end of the integer string.

Andy

Big 12v SMPS

Hi,

Sorry late to the party as usual, but maybe a toy I found on eBay is what you need...

It's a SMPS for an RV when it's parked and plugged in:

Basically 100-120v in, 12v 100A out, fully regulated and in this case variable.

I have adjusted the output via a small pot on the PCB to be 13.5v, and nothing I've done in loading it so far has caused even the slightest change in output voltage. It weighs about 3 lbs, has 2 fans that are thermally controlled, which come on after about 10mins of idling, faster under normal operation.

IIRC it cost about $50 on ebay, maybe 2 years ago. Originally from a company called centurion, and when I was looking at their website they had other models of even greater capacity.

For me this was one of those times DIYing was clearly going to be the wrong answer, the caps alone to make a supply as solid as this is were going to cost more...heck I couldn't even find appropriate rectifiers...at 100+ amps, the diodes were going to be dissipating 10's of watts each...

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

HTH

Stuart

Not 100% sure

I'll need to go home and check, I'll take a couple of pics as well.

I put it into a case so it is less likely to get fubared by an accident.

It's only 10am here, so it'll be another 8 hours or so, more like 24 if I don't get to it before bedtime.

Wait, here's one similar on eBay in the US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...AMPER-BUS_W0QQitemZ260066361190QQcmdZViewItem

Saves me the effort

Stuart

look again

Check the link I posted, 100 of them available for $50 each...

Not sure what the efficiency is, but the input side is 110v @ 12 amps...parallel 2 of them and you can weld with no problems...that is what he wanted to do right? ;)

Seriously there is no way to make, cobble or otherwise construct a >1kw, regulated, 13.5v supply for that price.

Parallel a pair via diodes and 0.01 resistors and you have a very, very serious power supply (being really careful about which diodes, and which resistors etc)...

Not as much fun as DIYing it, maybe thats true, but for me there is also fun in simply having a tool that works for an outstanding price.

Stuart

Nope

Based on the picture, I have exactly that one, it is fused on the input side at 12A slow blow...there is no single output fuse.

The 12v output fuse box is connected via 4 gauge wire, and has aluminum bus bars millimeters in diameter...clearly not a 12A device.

Of course I hacked mine out of the funky plastic box etc, at which point its a nice 10"x8" pcb with a few heatsinks...

I have the manual at home, IIRC it is rated at 60A out, I've used it at 25% over that. The fans spin faster, but nothing even gets warm. If I were really going to abuse it I'd check the output rectifiers, they are probably the limiting factor.

HTH

Stuart

Re: Nope

Stuart Easson said:
Based on the picture, I have exactly that one, it is fused on the input side at 12A slow blow...there is no single output fuse.

The 12v output fuse box is connected via 4 gauge wire, and has aluminum bus bars millimeters in diameter...clearly not a 12A device.

Of course I hacked mine out of the funky plastic box etc, at which point its a nice 10"x8" pcb with a few heatsinks...

I have the manual at home, IIRC it is rated at 60A out, I've used it at 25% over that. The fans spin faster, but nothing even gets warm. If I were really going to abuse it I'd check the output rectifiers, they are probably the limiting factor.

HTH

Stuart

I'm not the type to argue, but I still have to disagree. You can clearly see from the link I posted (and google searches) that it is rated at 12A output.

Here is a breakdown of their models and ratings clearly taken from the link........

CS1200XL = 12A
CS2000XL = 20A
CS3000XL = 30A
CS4500XL = 45A
CS6000XL = 60A

CSD4000 = 40A
CSD6000 = 60A

Hmm, weird

Clearly I need to find out a couple of things:

what model number mine is, then see if the picture those folks show is what they are actually selling...if you are right about the model number and it's rating the picture is wrong...cos the picture they show matches the one I bought...

I'll post a couple of pictures later...

Stuart

OK, clearly my memory sucks:

1) The PCB I have is not the same as the one in the picture,

2) I was wrong the input fuse is 15A, slow blow, not 12.

3) The output cables are 8 gauge, not 4...

3) There is no indication of the model number on the PCB, so I still can't tell you for sure which it is, but I just tested it at 50A and saw approx. 0.2-0.3v drop on the load, which is probably a result of the hookup wire I was using.

Sorry for the confusion, if the model they are selling is only rated at 12A, a cheap PC power supply is a better option...

Stuart

PS Check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cent...208651299QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200208651299

Attachments

• rv smps.jpg
    rv smps.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 252
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.