Step-Up SMPS Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is so far the best power smps i have seen with such a low parts count , with a little protection added this would be ready for commercial use, i cant believe that such a ready stuff is completely free and not to mention well tested , thank you very much walkura for nice web links and infos , i appreciate ….,

Oh one thing i don’t have Proteus designsuite so if u please just take a snap shoot of the layout and schema and post it, thanks once again

The reason i posted specificly this schema is that its one of the rare ones with layout .
You have plenty smps schematics of smps's but easy reproducable with layouts are rare .
Not to forget you spoke of powers of Kilowatts .
Then this hobby welding inverter is close to your needs :)
Its (relative) easy adjustable to different voltages or possible feedback.
What i don't like of it is the gate drive transformer .
Those few things i did with gatedrive xfmr changed fast to opto gatedrivers .
Afterall if there's one controller well documented its the sg3525 .
For the russian schema there are layouts on the web but i have the adress on my other computer .
I seen beautyfull builded versions of that one .
Although its less well documented then from the Polish magazine .
But i can't help mentioning that i loved it .
Its a very creative design ,a little flyback to power a small forward converter to drive a gatedrive xfmr of a 2 transistor forward to produce 2 KiloWatt .
Right now i have to put the children to bath but i'll make a snapshot of my layout when i get a chance .
But maybe it sounds weird i have only layouts the schema is in my head with that i make the layout :rolleyes:
But its very simple its a variation on the schema from the sg3525 datasheet .
Only additions are microcontroller for battery temperature & voltage measuring + shutdowncontrol .
You can forget about all that it works without any modification if you leave those parts of .
It might be an idea to put the shutdown to minus to prevent noise pickup .
If i have some time tomorrow i might make a better version with etd29 or 44 & feedback.
But i'll let you know when i have that working .
So far it been experimental boards that were never meanth to be working prototypes but just for learning & tryouts .
Have a nice eve .

areza said:
hi EWorkshop1708, very interesting, exactly what I m looking for, when u would show us some schematics, can any one give me a name of a BJT for totem pole for use with SG3525 to hard switch (~ 100ns ) eight IRF3205, would BD139/140 work, thanks for sharing ur experience with us,

As long as they don't get hot, they should be able to drive them.

What I used to make BiPolar Drivers with the MJE15034 and 35 transistors, is I made a complementary pair for each output of the PWM IC. NPN for positive swing, and PNP for negative, like an amplifier, but no bias. Connect the bases together, and use a 1K ohm resistor from the bases to ground to shut off MOSFETS when not being driven. Drive the bases with the output of the IC through a 33 ohm or similar resistor.

Doing this puts the load of driving the MOSFETS on the bipolar transistors instead of on the IC.

Just found some really potent TO-220 MOSFETS!

IRF1404 - 202A

I imagine these could make some killer bulletproof DIY projects, or serve as better replacements for nearly every other TO-220 MOSFET used in 12V SMPS.

Was used in the circuit of a 2.5KW inverter posted here in another thread posted by N-Channel. It used 8 pairs to drive 8 transformer primary coils! :bigeyes:

I'm wondering in DIY, if you can make a better SMPS by using a multitude of smaller toroidal transformers instead of a single large one.

What kind of Toroid cores are used in large car stereo amps, like the big 2000W and higher ones?

If I can get some good cores, I want to wind them using 3 x 12 gauge wire for primary, and 4 x 15 gauge for secondary.

Sweet!

And since they are affordable and available, I'll probably get a few.

Also micrometals says 26 is similar to 52. Also, Cwsbytemark has some 4 and 5 inch toroids. :D

I've yet to see anyone make an SMPS with such a large toroid. I want to be the one crazy enough to try. DIY is about building the best you can AKA overkill :D:bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.