UPS Power Filtering/Conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My college is disposing of about 6 rack mounted APC UPS for servers - all seem to be working 240V models. Unfortunately, I can't find the model number on the case but will open them up & keep looking. Looks like an older model of this SUA3000RMI2U
http://apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA3000RMI2U

I was wondering if they would be any good for:
- PS filtering based on this quote from APC:
Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 0.3% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449

- I also wondered if they could be easily modded to reduce output voltage to 110V for running of a US Panasonic SA-XR57 digital amplifier (7*100W)?

Take them if they are free or very cheap. If worse comes to worse, you can always sell them or take them apart. Just don't be surprised if the batteries are bad - that's the most common reason why a UPS is discarded.
2700w per unit makes for a nice collection of power electronics.

UPS Power Filtering/Conversion

Hi jkeny . As I said, i'm running my tube amp a KT88SE , dvd player , and a 42" Panasonic plasma , throught the battery outlets of an online MGE Elipse Max USB 1500 UPS. Video quality has a huge improvement and can be achieved even using cheaper offline UPS. I use a power supply modded Pioneer DV-585avi as universal player CD, DIVX , DVD , as it sounds very well mains filtered this way .
Regarding the APC UPS for servers you have , if they were for server duty , if they are online , and double conversion , they are very good for the job . I think the only safe way to have 110v is using a 220/110 transformer .

Re: UPS Power Filtering/Conversion

TugaTweaker said:
if they are online , and double conversion

APCC does not believe in online UPS. They call theirs "line interactive" and mean they start fast enough for practical purposes. Output is very noisy electrically (not a sine), and the units are usually quite noisy acoustically (while inverting) as well.

Use them for what they are, which is a way to have power for a couple of minutes when the lights go out. A 3kVA unit will run your typical small loads (an amp or a PC) for 30-60 minutes.

The filtering they claim is just a bunch of chokes and MOVs that have to be there anyway to keep EMI down.

I will, TugaTweaker, when I get the A/V receiver which is coming from the US at the end of the month. So this is by way of research!

I was also hoping to maybe convert one of these UPS from the 230V from the wall to 110V output to A/V receiver, hence I'm looking for schematic also!

Re: UPS Power Filtering/Conversion

TugaTweaker said:
Would you believe what you see and ear or not ? Please try even a cheap one in your AV , and start asking yourself , if it is noisy how can it improve video quality ?

By being - in effect - an isolation transformer. Ever tried one of those? Not the kilobuck-stainless-steel-audiophile scam, just a fat commercial one, plus a good EMI filter (common mode and serial chokes).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.