external psu for multiple Behringer DCX2496's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have (2) DCX2496's and (1) DEQ2496 in my system. One has a bad oem psu. Since the psu is a common upgrade, I've thought of replacing all 3 oem psus with a common external power supply, providing the following dc voltages:

Power One MAP80-4003 DC Power Supply

+15vdc @ 3.4 amps
-15vdc @ 1.0 amp
+5vdc @ 14 amps

The 3 units are in the same rack with common case grounding thru the rack screws. I would like to route a nice shielded 14/4 or 12/4 cable into each unit, connecting to a small pcb replacing the oem psu. This pcb will have smoothing and filter caps for the +/-15vdc and +5vdc. For the other voltages, I plan on using a 7809 tapped off the +15vdc before the filter caps and a LM1117 for the +3.3vdc tapped off the +5vdc. Both of these will also have filter caps as well.

All that seems pretty straight forward my concern is ground loops and noise. Has anyone tried anything similar? Any recommendations?

FYI: here's where I found the psu:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7603034055&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Thanx
Chris Mitchell

Hi Chris, I have thought about a similar thing, but started out differently.

I was running a DEQ and 2x DCX's in my car, with the AES out of the DEQ feeding the two DCX's for 12-way crossover (was only using 9 channels though). Powering the set was a single 150W pure-sine inverter. Connecting the earth of the 240V side to the car chassis resulted in bad mains hum, so that was running 'isolated' - not the safest, but it was all short paths for the power.

I found that running the two DCX's off the one DEQ output caused a 'shimmering' digital noise in both of the DCX's, but not sure why.

I see no reason why a single supply wouldn't work, providing you get the shielding/earthing right. It would (in theory) be no different to having all the boards in a single case, with separation shields between the bords..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.