Slaving a mains SMPS...why not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIYing a mains smps is not worth, instead why not use a small well designed Master SMPS and connect its switching signals for driving bigger switchers to get a higher wattage Slave SMPS.

This idea will not need u to design the pwm circuitry. Tap the drive signals from the master and connect them to the separately powered switching transistors with a bigger transformer. Add your desired secondary and rectify.

This slave can also be arranged to feed the error signal to the master, through its opto.

Just an idea and may be useful.

Gajanan Phadte

I'm not sure if i agree on this .
Ofcourse its possible to *borrow* a well designed pwm from the industry .
But the part that will cause emi & rfi you would build youreself .
Not to mention the magnetics part .
Yes you can do it this way but i think you make a good powersupply into a bad designed ragtag circus powersupply .

It depends on the design of the "master" SMPS. Is it PWM? Resonant-Mode? PPM? F-Shifted Full-bridge? Primary-side controller? Secondary-side controller? Forward? Flyback? Half-bridge? Full-Bridge? Center-tap push-pull?

If PWM, what is the controller chip? TL494? SG3524? SG3525? UC1846? MC33025?

From there, you could "borrow" the sync signal (if any) to synchronize a slave PWM to the Master. All the majopr manufacturers have datasheets & App notes on Master-Slave and multi-unit synchronization. As far as using the master PWM's totem-pole outputs to drive additional power stages, not a goods idea, since the slave outputs will be directly tied to the master's regulation, and not their own.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.