Multiple regulator question... regs in series...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to know if the following can work...

IT IS NOT A SCHEMATIC only a rough connection diagramme..

I have one transformer stepped down to 17.5V using lm337/17

next I have two buffers I would like to give local regulation with their own 78lxx/79lxx's...

Actualy it works, but I noticed the first regs were quite a bit hotter than just powering the buffers directly...

multireg.gif

Attachments

• multireg.gif
    multireg.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 165
whichever regulator has the highest voltage drop across it will run hottest. for example, one way to get 37VDC converted to 5VDC @ 1A would be to connect multiple series regulators in series. Normally, this would be 32W on one device, but using more then one regulator distributes losses to each device.

In such a case, a single power transistor capable of 32W dissipation could have been used, controlled by the 317/337

Hi,
there is nothing wrong with using cascaded regulators.

Each one should be considered on it's own and use the correct input and output caps, have sufficient no load current and heatsinked to dissipate the appropriate power.

The first obviously passes the same current as the total of the two later ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.