paralleling film caps with electrolytic caps - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2011, 08:59 PM   #271
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
5mils (0.005") & 20mils (0.02") !
Are we to start designing >4layer boards to take advantage of the ground planes that we don't yet know how to design for audio frequencies?
1mm PCB is ~ 40mil and 1.6mm PCB is ~ 60mil.
I think that I will probably at least try four layers, just for the sake of a much better layout, and in order to have a ground plane or two, and to have power planes (or planes of power and signal). Even if the capacitance between layers isn't significant, the inductance of the ground connections should be lower than otherwise.

The only serious drawback that I can think of for DIY, off hand, is that through-hole components would be problematical, in most cases, unless access holes were made in the outer layers for hand soldering on inner layers. But maybe access holes would work OK, for the large-pitch devices that people here often work with, and especially with thin boards and layers.

Looking at Henry Ott's book, for a four-layer board I rather like the idea of ground on the outer two layers and signal+power on each of the inner two layers.

Homemade versions of those could also be done, with two double-sided boards and an insulating sheet. But it would be a lot different than a layout for a fab house so that in general a layout for a professional fab job usually could not be adapted to the type of home made process that I'm thinking about, unless the designer took the time to make it so that it could, assuming it was possible.

What I would probably do is surface-mount as much stuff as possible. And for DIY I think that just about any through-hole part that has flat pins that are near the edge of the part could also be used as a surface-mount part (and maybe even many leaded parts as well).

Wow, imagine not having traces or pins always in the way at critical points, when routing a board!

On the other hand, for most chipamp boards, the layout might be improved enough just by using a two-sided board with one side as a ground plane.
Old 18th December 2011, 09:14 PM   #272
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
ΘΘdefg╚,⌠X╝

AHH!
"Alt" + 0233 on the numbers keypad gives

Thankyou.

Where can I find a table of these other symbols/letters when "insert" is not available?
How can I make Alt-181 produce the "micro" sign instead of ╡, which on my screen looks like a vertical bar with two line segments protruding to the left, near the center? Is it just a matter of selecting a different font (which I also can't seem to do, at least not for "window" text)?

Last edited by gootee; 18th December 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 18th December 2011, 10:32 PM   #273
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
How can I make Alt-181 produce the "micro" sign instead of ╡, which on my screen looks like a vertical bar with two line segments protruding to the left, near the center? Is it just a matter of selecting a different font (which I also can't seem to do, at least not for "window" text)?
I wonder that myself given the table I linked to. Although, straight from my memory; alt + 230 =
Old 18th December 2011, 11:07 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

Woo hoo!! F!!

√(b - 4ac)! ≤ ♪ ♫

This chart seems to be correct, but not complete:

Extended ASCII Display Characters
Old 19th December 2011, 05:45 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...bypass&ct=clnk
Old 19th December 2011, 05:49 AM   #277
diyAudio Member

Mostly in the right direction, though there are a few errors like the trace resistance and inductance being in parallel (how'd they miss that one?) and the assumption op amps operate in class B. You'll find many of the same issues arise in switchmode supply design. Basically it's a tradeoff between supply performance and the supply phase yo yoing from capacitive to inductive---the lower the ESR, the lower the supply's self induced ripple but the greater the phase swings.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:04 AM   #278
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The table is too big to fit on a "post it", stuck to the side of my 27" monitor !
How the .... do we oldies remember all those ascii codes?
Quote:
≤ ♪ ♫
music to your ears?

BTW,
I have down loaded those ascii codes before, but I can't remember where I saved them !

Last edited by AndrewT; 19th December 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:10 AM   #279
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
.......... it's a tradeoff between supply performance and the supply phase yo yo-ing from capacitive to inductive---the lower the ESR, the lower the supply's self induced ripple, but the greater the phase swings.
I have read this three times now.
I think someone will have to help me through understanding the message therein.
Old 19th December 2011, 01:03 PM   #280
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
Mostly in the right direction, though there are a few errors like the trace resistance and inductance being in parallel
I believe these parallel resistors are modeling skin effect losses (there is also a series R, at least in the figures I saw).

I havent read through all these articles but am looking forward to, thanks for posting them. I think this get covered some but it still seems to me that despite getting fairly complicated simulation circuits the hardest part is what Gootee is attempting to do which is to determine the required minimum impedance throughout the entire frequency range, not just audio.

Thanks
-Antonio

Hide this!Advertise here!