A. Weekes modified Jung regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know the max current that this power supply can provide? maybe the current is limited by the DH transistor?

also, has anyone used this design in a preamp or has replaced the existing supply with this design? did you notice an improvement?

Thank you very much

maybe the current is limited by the DH transistor
very definitely limited by the output transistor and many factors less than the rated maximum current specified for the D44. It is also limited by the voltage available at the input to the pass transistor. Ripple at this input point begins to feed through to the output as the first sign that the regulator is being asked to do too much. Overheating is the second sign.

just another question:

I looked at the PDF at Andy Weekes website and the first component in the schematic is the LM317. I would assume there is some sort of C or LC or other variations used as input filter. what is the recommended filter and cap values?

thanks again

also, can the LM329DZ be replaced by a TL431C (C has the lowest tolerance in fairchild's line)?

I'm thinking of something like this: http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled3fl0.png

LM329 is not easy to come by. I am buying my parts from mouser and Lm329 is only available in digikey. It would save me postage cost if I only get parts in 1 place.

Plus the fact I have several TL431 at home already.

Thank you.

First, I don't know how it is used in the circuit you are describing, b/c I haven't seen / can't find the schematic.

In any case, if the reference is ground referenced, then you can easily use one of the regulators you mentioned.

In fact, there are lots of regulators you could use and some might be even easier to use. The biggest drawback is that using the TL part will require more support components.

aymanme said:
First, I don't know how it is used in the circuit you are describing, b/c I haven't seen / can't find the schematic.

In any case, if the reference is ground referenced, then you can easily use one of the regulators you mentioned.

In fact, there are lots of regulators you could use and some might be even easier to use. The biggest drawback is that using the TL part will require more support components.

http://at-view.co.uk/pdfs/ALWSR rev2.9 rev009a.pdf

schematics are in page 24 (positive supply) and page 28 (negative supply)

I'm just wondering if the TL431 can be substituted as shown in the negative supply.

thank you very much

another question on the circuit

The LM317/337 drops the voltage to 2.5VDC. is it okay if I use a 5VAC transformer. The output voltage required is 30VDC.

I was originally thinking of using 25VAC but 25VAC (in DC) is a lot of voltage to drop across the LM317/337. it can/will get very hot.

Thanks again :)

jarthel said:
The LM317/337 drops the voltage to 2.5VDC. is it okay if I use a 5VAC transformer. The output voltage required is 30VDC.

I was originally thinking of using 25VAC but 25VAC (in DC) is a lot of voltage to drop across the LM317/337. it can/will get very hot.
This description of voltages does not make sense.
Can you re-word your question?

jarthel said:
another question on the circuit

Thanks again :)

Hmmm. What happened to those starter courses in electronics some of us were suggesting? I guess not much.

Still highly recommended to do some reading before building a Jung reg.

Or "it can/will get very hot"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.