transformer wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Currently have 2 mono power amps which run on a single ac input,which is then regulated so output is aprox 50 vdc,the amps are fed by seperate transformers,these transformers are puny sop can i use a centre tap transformer to feed both amps,ie parallel 2 grounds and use each ac for the amps turning the 3 wire secondaries into 2 dual secondaries,or is this going to cause problems....many thanks....

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
You cannot use a center tapped transformer (3 wires for the secondary connections) to power your two mono amps. You will need either a transformer with dual secondaries or two separate transformers.

Edit: Made the first sentence understandable :cannotbe:

"You can cannot use a center tapped transformer (3 wires for the secondary connections) to power your two mono amps. ..."

Maybe you can't, but I can ... :D ... but you are right, the results are not as pleasing and require a lot of addon parts to make it work ... (as you note). FYI: http://3dotaudio.com/ampics.html does have a single transformer w/ center tap for two amp modules. For the best results I had to use big filters X 2 initially, to get it working to my satisfaction ... but it did work without the extra parts. I believe that the part BCMX rightfully objects to is the paralleling of the two secondaries, which can lead to all manner of extranious heat problems, mostly cause the two windings of two "identical" transformers never quite put out exactly the same voltage or in exactly the same phase = usually creating waste heat, wasted power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.