rectifier diode in series with AC heating element to save energy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I remember reading that installing a rectifier diode in series with a resistive heating element saves energy. I understand that the heating element will receive half the power. Although this, if done correctly, will make the heating element last longer (lower temperature) and possibly safer (again, lower temperature), wouldn't the element have to be on for twice the time to produce the same amount of heat?

I don't think it's true because if it is, every electric heater will have a rectifier. (Some heating equipment do contain a large rectifier but that's for control.) I think I read it while googling for "true-rms" but I couldn't find it anymore.

rectifier diode in series with AC heatin elementg

Star882
Probably not a good idea. It would take ages to heat up, and the element may even buzz. It may however, be worthwhile switching in the diode when the required temperature is reached.
A thermosat would be far better , though.
I am not sure how nearby A/V gear would like this method.

SandyK

If a heater designer wants the heater element to last longer, he/she may make the element larger (but rated for the same amount of power as a smaller element) to distribute the heat, and thus thermal stress, over a larger area. Upon that, one might cause airflow around the element to prevent it from heating up as much.

A diode in the path to the element would induce very bad harmonic switching noises, and possibly EMI, into the environment immediate to the heater.

Diodes to handle the amount of current for most typical heater elements would probably be somewhat costly as well...

I recall there was a device that effectively reduced the voltage to a water heater during off-peak times and restores full voltage during peak times. I forgot how it did that, but since it advertises something about half power, a rectifier diode can definitely be a way it did it.

I'll make a model using a small rectifier and a 5w power resistor. Then I'll experiment to find out exactly what the rectifier does.

Hi,
can we assume this heater runs direct off the mains voltage?
The diode half wave rectifies the mains.
Output power is halved.

The reverse voltage of the diode will need to exceed the peak voltage on the supply. 200V is a bit too close for 120Vac.
In the UK we would need 600V for 240Vac.

This power reduction is what was fitted to the trigger of two speed power drills. Massive reduction in torque made them run slow. Big drills then made them run even slower. Slow turning fan and very high half wave currents = burnt out motor.

I have seen it used in portable heaters, heat guns, and even coffee makers.

The experiment had some strange results. With a 1:1 isolation transformer powering a 3k9 resistor with and without a 1N4007 rectifier, adding the rectifier halved the voltage, current, and delta-T. A true-RMS meter was used to measure the voltages and currents. Based on voltage and current, the resistor was drawing only 1/4 its original power, but based on delta-T, it was producing only 1/2 the heat. This makes no sense so I think I made a mistake somewhere.

star882 said:

The experiment had some strange results. With a 1:1 isolation transformer powering a 3k9 resistor with and without a 1N4007 rectifier, adding the rectifier halved the voltage, current, and delta-T. A true-RMS meter was used to measure the voltages and currents. Based on voltage and current, the resistor was drawing only 1/4 its original power, but based on delta-T, it was producing only 1/2 the heat. This makes no sense so I think I made a mistake somewhere.

Looks like the voltage and current measurements are out to lunch, which might be the case if the "true RMS" meter has a tough time with nonsinusoidal waveforms. It makes sense for the resistor to dissipate half the heat instead of 1/4, because the diode takes away half the AC wave so intuitively one should expect to get half the heat.

I'd bet a Fourier transform of the half-waves would show the fundamental is a bit more than half the amplitude of the full wave, say around 63% at a guess, with the rest of the power contributed by harmonics.

so lets see.......

assuming (aarrrggg) that Vp,Ip,Pf, and VAR are perfect........

115 vac in
3900 ohm load
=.029 amps
=3.3 watts
=11.5 btus (~3.4 btu's per watt)

:whazzat:

then thowing a half wave rectifier in the mix then

115 vac in
diode makes it ~57.5 vac
3900 ohm load
=.0147 amps
=.845 watts
=2.85 btu's

soo......

The RMS voltage of a half wave rectified sine wave is .707 times the RMS voltage of the unrectifed sin wave. Therefore, the power delivered by the rectifer circuit is .5 time that of the unrectifed circuit (for the same load resistance).

So for a heater if you want to cut the power in half double the resistance, rather than rectify the line voltage.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
AndrewT said:
it's all of the voltage and all of the current for half of the time.

When I said half the voltage and half the current I meant average voltage and current for the half wave rectifier compared to the regular sine wave. It now makes sense that you can't calculate it that way.

Here's a good picture for those of us who see things better graphically.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.