Browns book errors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Browns book errors

Hi all,
Is there a need for a thread outlining errors in browns book?

I think most of the errors are typographical.

Brown seems to have his stuff together it just did poor printing review.

I have spoken with a couple of people who tried to build the 280 w 28v 10a supply and it did not work.

thoughts?

Not to tear down but enhance tothe usefullness of the book
Old 8th June 2007, 07:17 PM   #2
jc2 is offline jc2
diyAudio Member

I know I have a handful of corrections written into my copy. Most are harmless typos that remind me it was written by an engineer. But there is an equation on transformer design that I think is incorrect, but is repeated in another book of his, so I wasn't sure.
Old 20th June 2007, 07:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
I tried building a variation of the 28V 280W current-mode half-bridger, and blew primary fuses, and a couple of MOSFETs. Not sure if it was flux walking or something else. Tried both driver transformer and IR2113 driver chip. after some tinkering, I fixed it, though not too sure what the problem really was.
Old 20th June 2007, 08:14 PM   #4
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

Did you look at any waveforms, like gates? Flux couldn't be a problem, because of those 2uF caps, they don't allow too much current to go through. What fuse did you have? What was input voltage and from where did you take it?
Old 21st June 2007, 06:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No I did not. I'm too lazy to drag out the ol' Scopemeter. I used a 5A fast-blow, changing to a 3A slo-blo fuse. Input voltage was usual voltage doubler off the 120VAC bus, yielding ~336VDC. Single 2uF coupling cap was connected to the junction of the two DC input bulk caps.
Old 21st June 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

Then it is most common half bridge that even I got it to work, that would be really nice to know why it didn't work for you.
Old 22nd June 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

well one of the problems with the 280 convertor is that pin 11 and 12 pin outs are transposed,

One of the guys mentioned something about pin 1 and 3 being connected, but i dont know,

also the gnd's are not labeled very well.

p131 the top C2 formula should be C1.

p130 last paragraph referances figure 3-69, should be figure 3-75

p 126 second to last paragraph "if we place two 8.2k ohn, 5w resistors in series, we can "spit" the.... i tried spitting on them it still wouldn't work on guy said...... split ( auto correcting word processors)
Old 25th June 2007, 09:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Current mode half-bridge needs some kind of active balancing to work reliably... I remember that I thought the circuit couldn't work like it is in the book.
Old 26th June 2007, 06:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Originally Posted by7 jamesrnz:

"well one of the problems with the 280 convertor is that pin 11 and 12 pin outs are transposed,

One of the guys mentioned something about pin 1 and 3 being connected, but i dont know,

also the gnd's are not labeled very well.

p131 the top C2 formula should be C1.

p130 last paragraph referances figure 3-69, should be figure 3-75

p 126 second to last paragraph "if we place two 8.2k ohn 5w resistors in series, we can "spit" the.... i tried spitting on them it still wouldn't work on guy said...... split ( auto correcting word processors)"

I took into account the pin 11-12 reversal, but I can't seem to find any 8.2k ohn 5W resistors, but the 8.2kohm'ers are easy to find. It has been some time and I would have to drag it out of the stack o' stuff, so I will just let it simmer for a while now. I am now directing my energies toward an old 235W AT pc supply, converting it from +/-5V & +/-12V to +/-20V for some LM4765 chip amps.
Old 30th June 2007, 11:41 PM   #10
chas1 is offline chas1  Dominican Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to chas1 Send a message via MSN to chas1 Send a message via Yahoo to chas1
Default Error's in Browns Book

I have writen the publisher about the error's in this book and have not recieved a reply. I can't list the errors because there are so many thru out the book which leads me to believe that the manscripts were sent to India to be proofed and printed or some other non english speaking country. If you read the chapter on compensation and compare them with the calculations of the example feedback networks you will see what I mean. I am trying to contact M. Brown himself for I am sure he will be upset. I am sure he proofed his material or had some senior's do it. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. In the mean time

Hide this!Advertise here!