Browns book errors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Is there a need for a thread outlining errors in browns book?

I think most of the errors are typographical.

Brown seems to have his stuff together it just did poor printing review.

I have spoken with a couple of people who tried to build the 280 w 28v 10a supply and it did not work.

thoughts?

Not to tear down but enhance tothe usefullness of the book

I know I have a handful of corrections written into my copy. Most are harmless typos that remind me it was written by an engineer. But there is an equation on transformer design that I think is incorrect, but is repeated in another book of his, so I wasn't sure.

I tried building a variation of the 28V 280W current-mode half-bridger, and blew primary fuses, and a couple of MOSFETs. Not sure if it was flux walking or something else. Tried both driver transformer and IR2113 driver chip. after some tinkering, I fixed it, though not too sure what the problem really was.

No I did not. I'm too lazy to drag out the ol' Scopemeter. I used a 5A fast-blow, changing to a 3A slo-blo fuse. Input voltage was usual voltage doubler off the 120VAC bus, yielding ~336VDC. Single 2uF coupling cap was connected to the junction of the two DC input bulk caps.

well one of the problems with the 280 convertor is that pin 11 and 12 pin outs are transposed,

One of the guys mentioned something about pin 1 and 3 being connected, but i dont know,

also the gnd's are not labeled very well.

p131 the top C2 formula should be C1.

p130 last paragraph referances figure 3-69, should be figure 3-75

p 126 second to last paragraph "if we place two 8.2k ohn, 5w resistors in series, we can "spit" the.... i tried spitting on them it still wouldn't work on guy said...... split ( auto correcting word processors)

Originally Posted by7 jamesrnz:

"well one of the problems with the 280 convertor is that pin 11 and 12 pin outs are transposed,

One of the guys mentioned something about pin 1 and 3 being connected, but i dont know,

also the gnd's are not labeled very well.

p131 the top C2 formula should be C1.

p130 last paragraph referances figure 3-69, should be figure 3-75

p 126 second to last paragraph "if we place two 8.2k ohn 5w resistors in series, we can "spit" the.... i tried spitting on them it still wouldn't work on guy said...... split ( auto correcting word processors)"

I took into account the pin 11-12 reversal, but I can't seem to find any 8.2k ohn 5W resistors, but the 8.2kohm'ers are easy to find. ;) It has been some time and I would have to drag it out of the stack o' stuff, so I will just let it simmer for a while now. I am now directing my energies toward an old 235W AT pc supply, converting it from +/-5V & +/-12V to +/-20V for some LM4765 chip amps.

Error's in Browns Book

I have writen the publisher about the error's in this book and have not recieved a reply. I can't list the errors because there are so many thru out the book which leads me to believe that the manscripts were sent to India to be proofed and printed or some other non english speaking country. If you read the chapter on compensation and compare them with the calculations of the example feedback networks you will see what I mean. I am trying to contact M. Brown himself for I am sure he will be upset. I am sure he proofed his material or had some senior's do it. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. In the mean time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.