Toroidal specifications Ac Ae - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Toroidal specifications Ac Ae

Hi all

I need to know the specific definition for each of those parameter because it seem there discrepancies in the way other manufacturers define this, particularly (Ae) Effective cross sectional area, and (Ac) cross sectional area.

Old 7th June 2007, 01:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Speed,

I offer you the following quotes from a circa 1985, Ferroxcube // "Linear Ferrite Magnetic Design Manual"

Ae: "The cross sectional area that an equivalent gapless core (of uniform magnetic and geometric properties) would have." Units=cm^2.

Ac: "Cross sectional area (perpendicular to direction of wire) available for winding turns on a particular core." Units=cm^2 or in^2.

So; Ae relates to the magnetic properties of the core, and Ac relates to the physical size of the core for winding purposes.

I hope this helps.
VSR
Old 9th June 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi sherelec

Thanks for reply and explain, I have a formula to obtain Ac, a engineer from Magnetics "John Noble" give me this Ac=OD-ID/2xH, and in some cases is identical to Ae or approximate depending of the manufacturers.

Hide this!Advertise here!