High(er)-voltage, low noise v-reg? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Default High(er)-voltage, low noise v-reg?

Greetings...

I'm currently searching for some low-noise voltage regulators, to provide some low-ish current, medium-high voltage for the input/VAS stages in some solid-state discrete class AB amplifiers.

The LC Audio design looks ok, but it can only go so high as far as voltage is concerned (limited by the opamp's max supply rails). I'd need something in the order of 35-50V, 1A(max).

Monolithic designs (ie. LM317/337) kinda lack the "low-noise" requirement i'm looking for...

I'll be eagerly awaiting some indications / ideas...
Old 28th May 2007, 01:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: High(er)-voltage, low noise v-reg?

Quote:
Originally posted by Khron
Greetings...

I'm currently searching for some low-noise voltage regulators, to provide some low-ish current, medium-high voltage for the input/VAS stages in some solid-state discrete class AB amplifiers.

The LC Audio design looks ok, but it can only go so high as far as voltage is concerned (limited by the opamp's max supply rails). I'd need something in the order of 35-50V, 1A(max).

Monolithic designs (ie. LM317/337) kinda lack the "low-noise" requirement i'm looking for...

I'll be eagerly awaiting some indications / ideas...
If you bypass the adjust pin you knock the noise down pretty dramatically.

Secondly, you can use a cleanup circuit after the discrete regulator -- http://www.wenzel.com/documents/finesse.html
Old 29th May 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Regarding that finesse regulator... For the negative rail, how should i approach it? Use the transistors' complements and make a "mirror image" of the schematic? Or do other modifications need to be done?
Old 29th May 2007, 12:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

you might be lucky enough that your transformer has two secondaries (a lot of toroids do) -- in which case 2 identical regulators would work.
Old 29th May 2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: High(er)-voltage, low noise v-reg?

Quote:
Originally posted by Khron
How low noise are you looking for then? It could be an idea to set a target and then see what options you'll have.
Old 29th May 2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I was also wondering how low noise a power amp front end needs to be? I find an optimised 317/337 PSU fine and very quiet. It's going to be vastly superior to running the front end off the main amp supply anyway, even without bypassed adj pin.
Old 29th May 2007, 03:36 PM   #7
banana is offline banana  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
you might be lucky enough that your transformer has two secondaries (a lot of toroids do) -- in which case 2 identical regulators would work.
I agree it'll work. But I always think that PNP regulator for -ve rail is a better idea, though I don't have a good reason for that.

Maybe it's because the +ve pin cannot source current, or it's the feedback referencing to rail instead of ground, or maybe it's nothing wrong...

Anyone have more information on this?
Old 29th May 2007, 03:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, frankly, i haven't set any numerical goals, i was just "testing the waters", to see what other/better options were out there
Old 1st June 2007, 12:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I played around in Eagle and ended up with something like in the file i attached.

If i did any major blunders (as in "very likely noisy ground" or any ground loops), please bring them to attention
Attached Files
File Type: zip vreg.zip (57.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 12th November 2012, 03:28 PM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Secondly, you can use a cleanup circuit after the discrete regulator -- Finesse Voltage Regulator Noise!
still valid ?

if trafo voltage is just a few volt too much for the regulator, would it be ok to use zener diode before the regulator ?

edit, a search on pre regulators shows the use of additional transistor together with the zener
but I guess thats for when input voltage is much higher than just a few volts too much ?

Hide this!Advertise here!