High(er)-voltage, low noise v-reg?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings...

I'm currently searching for some low-noise voltage regulators, to provide some low-ish current, medium-high voltage for the input/VAS stages in some solid-state discrete class AB amplifiers.

The LC Audio design looks ok, but it can only go so high as far as voltage is concerned (limited by the opamp's max supply rails). I'd need something in the order of 35-50V, 1A(max).

Monolithic designs (ie. LM317/337) kinda lack the "low-noise" requirement i'm looking for...

I'll be eagerly awaiting some indications / ideas... :smash:

Khron said:
Greetings...

I'm currently searching for some low-noise voltage regulators, to provide some low-ish current, medium-high voltage for the input/VAS stages in some solid-state discrete class AB amplifiers.

The LC Audio design looks ok, but it can only go so high as far as voltage is concerned (limited by the opamp's max supply rails). I'd need something in the order of 35-50V, 1A(max).

Monolithic designs (ie. LM317/337) kinda lack the "low-noise" requirement i'm looking for...

I'll be eagerly awaiting some indications / ideas... :smash:
If you bypass the adjust pin you knock the noise down pretty dramatically.

Secondly, you can use a cleanup circuit after the discrete regulator -- http://www.wenzel.com/documents/finesse.html

jackinnj said:
you might be lucky enough that your transformer has two secondaries (a lot of toroids do) -- in which case 2 identical regulators would work.
I agree it'll work. But I always think that PNP regulator for -ve rail is a better idea, though I don't have a good reason for that.

Maybe it's because the +ve pin cannot source current, or it's the feedback referencing to rail instead of ground, or maybe it's nothing wrong...

Anyone have more information on this?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Secondly, you can use a cleanup circuit after the discrete regulator -- Finesse Voltage Regulator Noise!

still valid ?

if trafo voltage is just a few volt too much for the regulator, would it be ok to use zener diode before the regulator ?

edit, a search on pre regulators shows the use of additional transistor together with the zener
but I guess thats for when input voltage is much higher than just a few volts too much ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.