LM317/LM337 accuracy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I built a simple power supply as per the one on Nuuk's website which has a 50VA 18-0-18 transformer, 4700uF smoothing caps and a series of paralleled polypropylene bypass caps before the above regulators. It's built on stripboard.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclonepre.html

The idea was to have a two stage reg in which this first stage would put out ~+-21V and the second stage reg to +-15V.

However, after carefully building the (simple) first stage, the damn thing was putting out -22.2V and +21.8. The unloaded DC voltage before the regs was a steady 27.7V both sides.

I'm using 220R and 3K6 1% metal film resistors to set the voltage.

I checked the resistors' values by disconnecting one end - they were within spec. I then bought two new LM regs, and replaced these and the resistors after matching the new resistors with my meter.

Now the voltage is -21.5V and +22.0V...

I'm fairly sure the regs are proper ONsemi devices.

Any tips on what could be the issue? I know it's hard over the net, but I'm stumped. I've even checked for minor current leakage around the regs through rosin between tracks - there's nothing wrong.

Cheers

Stuey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.