Help a dummy, save a life. PSU recycling... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2007, 12:02 AM   #1
rja is offline rja  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Help a dummy, save a life. PSU recycling...

Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of designing a rather basic USB -> I2S -> DAC, to turn my PC into a source. As this is a learning experiment, and being done on veroboard(yes! I know, I know...), I'm looking to do it on the cheap. If I prove to myself that I can make something that works, then I'll look at making a dedicated PCB from the schematics used for the prototype.

Aaaaanyway, because I'm doing it on the cheap, I'm hoping to recycle a PSU from my old CD player, at least for the prototype. Figured I've got it kicking around anyway, and it was silent in the CD player... but I don't know anything about it!

Have plugged it into the mains and measured the output voltages. There are seven wires coming from the secondary side - brown grey grey, and brown grey grey grey.

BGG-BGGG

The measurements I get, using the B wires as negative on my multimeter are and the individual G wires on the positive side:-

B G G B G G G
__2_2__19_9_20

All measurements were taken without any load - I know this will affect the output, but what kind of voltages can I expect after DC rectification? Is it a straight conversion, or will I see less/more voltage?

Will I be able to use 19 as -19, and 20 as +20, and then regulate them to -12v and +12v for my power supply? I can then tap the 12v supply for any lower voltages I require, by using lower valued regulators?

Cheers for any help - I'm somewhat capable with a soldering iron, but I've never designed a PSU before. And I'm a little stumped by the number of outputs on this one - spot the amateur!

Cheers,

--Rich

Hide this!Advertise here!