Battery Vs conventional PSU - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2007, 05:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Battery Vs conventional PSU

I think the thread would must be here, but is on the Solid State section, maybe thatīs why I`īm not having much replies, even it has been interesting, have a look: Battery vs Conventional PSUs
Old 25th April 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe this would be the logical place to continue the discussion.
I would need some help at this point, the batteries output Z. Can be lowered with caps only?
the regulators are needed or not?
Old 25th April 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

What kind of batteries? How many? What are you powering with the batteries, a preamp? What is its current draw?
Old 25th April 2007, 10:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just to move things along ......
Here's the original question from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by lagoausente
Hello,
Iīm going to build a mic preamp, itīs a nice design based on the Green pre. It can be supplied to +/-20v even it would work ok with less voltage. Anyway, four 9V batteries could do the job.
The issue is that I want the mic preamp to be portable, so have the option of the batteries, or DC-DC converter.
As DCpreamp told, batteries would be less noisy than any DC-DC converter, so thatīs the way Iīll go, probably.
My doubts here are about the implementation for the battery setup. Only caps? or a linear regulator?
If understood ok, DCpreamp only use caps, isnīt?

Whell, I thought about use Li-ion batteries, that comes with built-in pcb protection inside, see http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2644

or this other new type that are safer, and non explode: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3071

NiMH, have similar price, and suffer of much higher self-discharge, so those Li-ion seems nicer for a low consumption mic pre.
I would like to now, any information of the Li-ion "noise" if it has, and the Z, aswell if the PCB that comes with the first model, maybe can have an influencia on the noise or Z, since itīs an IC.
The second type, is a new Li type, that has no IC, but itīs more stable and safer, so have advandage of the low selfdischarge, without the problem of the Li-ion ones..
I would like to know your opinions, and any help of what caps would I need to implement the DC PSU.
Thanks a lot, nice thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by lagoausente
What I want to know, is if is better to use a regulator, or maybe worse, with batteries. And what type of filtering would need to decrease the Z as low as posilble, I think with caps can be done.
If I put large caps between + and 0 and 0 and - rails, would get low impedanze? how much cacity? Need to ad any coil?
(PS, Lagoausente: Did you expect everyone here to read that whole thread to find your question?)
Old 26th April 2007, 12:59 AM   #5
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would just use capacitors. Experiment with different values and see if you can hear the difference.
Old 26th April 2007, 04:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(PS, Lagoausente: Did you expect everyone here to read that whole thread to find your question?)
Sorry, I was thinking about getting the answer of one of the people who posted there. Just thought that they are not seeing the thread again since in the Solid State section, it comes down very quicly.
Thanks for the point, and for the quote.
Any idea of how can be measured the Z of the battery psu?
Old 27th April 2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

This article at TNT-Audio may be of interest to you.
Old 27th April 2007, 04:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Have already read it.. Thanks.
Old 27th April 2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

The series is old, but I did notice there was no attempt to to measure actual output impedances due to the technical challenge/ equipment demands. It was all simulation.
Old 28th April 2007, 08:23 AM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
yes, TNT is based on simulation and yet others are interpreting TNT's results as over-riding National's guidance for placing decoupling/snubbing caps on the output pins of the 317/337 regulators. I have asked "who do you believe"?

Hide this!Advertise here!