Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2007, 02:38 AM   #21
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
50dB is the usual real-world SNR in laptops and onboard sound solutions, although earth loops can make it substantially worse...
Old 16th April 2007, 06:02 AM   #22
Korrah is offline Korrah  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
Every laptop includes a complex SMPS built in... And they may draw as much as 100W during strong CPU and disk activity...
Urm, if I'm reading this right, does it mean a laptop's batteries are capable of putting out more than 100W during high CPU/HDD activity?

Quote:
no no no, laptops dont have the features i want. im talking about dedicated computers used for high end audio. laptops still have fans, spinning drives, and you cant put a nice soundcard into them (just a firewire or usb one...
There are a few very nice USB/Firewire soundcards out there, pity Lynx isn't making any.
Old 16th April 2007, 12:26 PM   #23
mr.duck is offline mr.duck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, some of you are over estimating how much power a PC uses. A fully modern, high end gaming PC will draw ~250W from the wall typical when under load. But you can get silly and push this up to 400W or more quite easily with multiple graphics cards. About 85% of this 250W is drawn from the 12v power rails I think.

The PC I'm using right now should be drawing around 15W (not including monitor of course). So I expect it will be drawing around 20W or so from the wall (I'll be surprised if its more than 25W)
Old 16th April 2007, 01:10 PM   #24
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

cowanrg,

I'm also using my PC for all my audio too and am very happy. I had also (briefly) thought of a linear supply, but the thought of making something with bang-on 3.3v, 5v and 12v is too daunting.

Perhaps, however, they may be a way to mod an existing decent quality SMPS to make it cleaner/quieter? -- upgrade/add caps, shielding etc?

I'm currently using a Tagan 380w PSU, which is very nicely made and very quiet. I've compared to an older Antec PSU i had, and the only difference I could notice in audio was the fan noise....
Old 16th February 2008, 05:40 PM   #25
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Actualy a linear power supply could prove to have a sense if used with boards like this:

Intel Mini-Itx
VIA mini/nano/pico-ITX

All of these are enough for audio playback. Not for complex DSP like FIR filters and so on but enough for common audio aplications.

Here you may seen the poer consumption of a modern desktop CPU on 45nm technology. Now imagine the consumption for the mobile versions.

I think that used in conjuntion with small boards and with small power demandings, a linear PSU could proove worthing. Of course remains the problem of the the SMPS on the board, although I suspect that boards in the nano-itx format are using just the regulation provided by the powersupply unit.
Old 17th February 2008, 03:47 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

from what I can tell from Intels power supply spec. the psu would have to be able to handel a slew rate of 1A/uS. I don't a linear psu can do that (though I maybe wrong)
Old 17th February 2008, 04:42 AM   #27
Dave is offline Dave  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You can get above average quality computer power supplies that are ultra quiet (acoustic noise). Check out http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/Main.asp

Also with a conventional transformer you loose the benefits of active PFC.
Old 17th February 2008, 09:47 AM   #28
walkura is offline walkura  Poland
diyAudio Member

Maybe that i misunderstand the datasheet i been reading .
(afterall there is a little difference between mcu or cpu)
But still the discussion intrested me and i looked up my own processor,s datasheet .
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30430.pdf
At page 91 it states Vid & Idd is 1,30 volt @ 80 Amperes .
That makes a maximum thermal design power of 110 watt's .
The processor i have on my motherboard is a low power model but still consumes 65 Watt @ 1,30 Volt .
But i must say the idea is nice ,on one of my first pc's i placed a lineair powersupply .
(i blew up the smps by accidently switching it to 110 Volt)
But then again that was a 4,77 Mhz XT with an amazing 5 megabyte hard disc

Old 23rd February 2009, 11:46 AM   #29
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowanrg

that is a possibility. interfacing it with the PCI card would be difficult, but doable. the following link shows the pinout. so, could make an adapter that could power just a single PCI slot.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml
Anybody attempted this? I mean a dedicated to power a single pci slot.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:54 PM   #30
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
Every laptop includes a complex SMPS built in... And they may draw as much as 100W during strong CPU and disk activity...
Most laptops nowadays use 65w or 90w power supplies. The mobile workstations can indeed use over 100w, however.

An embedded system would be a better choice for a linear power supply. But there's no point. Switching supplies have advanced enough that they are even used in very sensitive instrumentation equipment.

Hide this!Advertise here!