Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 31st March 2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Spirit84 is offline Spirit84  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much Chris! You have given me much valuable advice and info.
So appreciated.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:30 AM   #12
paul burchell is online now paul burchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Sam the only experience ive had with the alpair papers is with the a10p , as others may say they tend to be more layed back and vintage sounding. There is something in the 5_600hz range that appears on some recordings, Lyle Lovetts voice is a good example of some sort of break_up. We had this set out for a listening session a few years back with a sound engineer at a local studio and he picked up on it rather quickly.
When i sit down for a listening session its not long before i switch to the metals as i prefer them to the papers. Some one may correct me if im wrong but i believe it was Bob B. that said most full range drivers can use a 4_6db smiley face eq setting.
Paul

Last edited by paul burchell; 11th April 2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 16th April 2018, 04:37 PM   #13
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit84 View Post
2: ACA Amp: I have been told that a 5wpc amp would not be strong enough for the Alpair 7.3 - you obviously are happy with this amp. Am I correct that this amp can work with the Pensils?
3: Does the ACA have the sweetness of a comparably powered SET amp?
that is it for today!
Thanks so much!
Just chiming in here with my limited experience. I asked Planet 10 the same questions a year or so ago, and have since built a few stuff, including an ACA. But not my planned Frugal Horns yet. Chris actually warned me that the ACA will run out of steam. But I went ahead anyway.

What I have found with my ACA (6W running at 24V) is that it is indeed under-powered driving low sensitive speakers when using a B1 (no gain) as a preamp. Speakers I tried was TC9FD (84.4 dB) Karlsonators and Tannoy (88 dB) Monitors. I suspect you might experience the same using Alpair 7.3 (85.2 dB) drivers, irrespective of the enclosure. However, when using a preamp with some gain (like my Class A headamp), the ACA really kicks into a higher gear (incredibly more dynamics) and drives my speakers louder than I will ever need.

The interesting discovery I made was when driving the ACA with a tube preamp, the tube character comes through strongly and my Tannoys becomes very warm and mellow sounding. Almost too much, as they are already a bit dark sounding. My guess would be that the ACA plus a nice tube preamp will partner perfectly with the Alpair 7.3’s in Pensils. But Dave will know better.

PS: I am now thinking of Pensils with Alpair 10Ps as partners for my ACA.

Last edited by twocents; 16th April 2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 16th April 2018, 06:34 PM   #14
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Would like some guidance
Quote:
Alpair 7.3 (85.2 dB)
My measures show it closer to 87 dB with the A10.3 at about a dB more.

Whether an ACA will float your boat depends on how loud you like to listen. Th epair i have has been very surprising. Led me to getting 2 of the new ones which will be run i mono and used to drive rthe A7.3eN in our Ellipsa.

dave
Old 17th April 2018, 11:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
My measures show it closer to 87 dB with the A10.3 at about a dB more.

Whether an ACA will float your boat depends on how loud you like to listen. Th epair i have has been very surprising. Led me to getting 2 of the new ones which will be run i mono and used to drive rthe A7.3eN in our Ellipsa.

dave
Thanks Dave - those measures are good news then (for ACA owners). I just used the values given by the suppliers.

If the 6 or 7W of the ACA does not float your boat, then how about this new exciting Class A amp: What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?
Old 17th April 2018, 10:51 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

two cents - while we’re still awaiting for the chassis to arrive for “our” build of a pair of ACA1.1 as monoblocks, and it’s been at least a year or so since I gave the earlier model a good listen in Dave’s oft changing system, I think your experience shows exactly how transparent a device the basic circuit is. You will hear whatever seasoning the upstream components do or don’t add the the audio sauce you’re serving up. As excellent a device as the B1 surely is - it’s “just” a buffer, and sometimes you need a little more than unity gain - particularly I’d imagine with say, a low output moving coil phono cartridge.

With the option for extra gain with the 1.1, as well as slightly higher power with 24v PSU, the 10Ps should be quite happy. If you have the floor space, I think you’d find the FHXLs will deliver a bigger sound than the Pensils - says the guy without said space.
Old 18th April 2018, 01:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

OT, sorry Spirit84.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
If you have the floor space, I think you’d find the FHXLs will deliver a bigger sound than the Pensils - says the guy without said space.
Thanks Chris. Your replies always have some wisdom, wit and experience. Yes, I would love to go for gold and build FHXLs and live happily ever after, but I have to accept and work with certain constraints – floor space and SWMBO. I have been driving myself mad with possible options over the last 2 years, reading thread upon thread. I now finally reached a state of contentment (I think) – a single FR in an easy to build box that gives satisfactory bass. Simple. No more OB or FAST or WAW or XO or miniDSP or REW software or calibrated microphone or bi-amping for now. So, it looks like a Alpair 10P Pensil solution.
Old 18th April 2018, 04:44 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Would like some guidance
Quote:
a Alpair 10P Pensil solution
A pretty good solution. We do recommend th eoptional holey brace.

dave
Old 19th April 2018, 10:26 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A pretty good solution. We do recommend th eoptional holey brace.

dave
Thanks Dave. I was striving for simplicity, but now this project is a lot more complex.

When adding so much bracing - should the internal volume of the cabinet not be increased?
Old 19th April 2018, 06:09 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Would like some guidance
It is not necessary, but if you are anal, a little more depth to compensate for the holey brace option (i use two-thirds the volume/thickness of the brace to calculate this).

dave

Would like some guidanceHide this!Advertise here!