Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 2nd January 2017, 10:35 PM   #11
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

bimmer - Outdoor NHL game this afternoon is St. Louis. The Blues beat the Chicago Schmuckhawks 4 - 1.

With a sub, you may not need anything more than a pair of A7.3s. Might not need more than a choke on the sub and a cap on the 7.3. YMMV.
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:41 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesbimmer View Post
Which of the many MTM's using dual Alpair12PW and single A7.3 and big wood like yours should I consider?

So far I've used that exact combination of drivers only once, and yes the overall cost of drivers wasn't small - but the configuration topology could easily be used with other makes / models.

Our first build of that type was a few years ago, using a now out of production, very inexpensive mid-bass driver (Mark Audio Woofer6 / aka CSS EL166) , and Fostex FF85K. The Alpairs sound much better, but at well over 4 times the driver cost. Boxes were about the same size, with only inflationary increases in material costs.

And to reiterate my earlier comment, I'd be inclined to mostly agree with silverhair with regards to the A7.3 - except that I'd still want to high pass them for safety's sake. A lot of guys here have had great success with them and dual woofers with everything from a fairly simple passive XO to any of several more elaborate bi-amping schemes - which can simply be a hard sell for a lot of folks.

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd January 2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:42 AM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

too late to edit above, but I should have said "stereo woofers" - i.e. one per channel - not dual
Old 3rd January 2017, 07:51 PM   #14
davesbimmer is offline davesbimmer  Canada
diyAudio Member

is this yours?
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/images/A12pwMTM-veneer.jpg

I could live with something that size and shape. I don't want a stand, so I could put a big box under the chamber if it is too big for one w.
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:10 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Yup - like I said before, this topology could easily be used with mid-bass drivers costing far less than $135 USD each for stock, and $220 with the EnABL treatment. Do I really want to do the math? - that's $1460 USD * of drivers alone, plus the over $200 for crossover components, then the 3 sheets of Baltic Birch plywood and 2 sheets of quarter cut Sapele veneer, and at least half a gallon of ML Campbell Krystal post catalyzed lacquer. My 50 or so hours of labour probably don't count. . Nope, shouldn't have revisited that.

* USD quoted per Dave's pricing for the treated units used. Current CDN pricing from Bob for stock units would be $990 - all prices before shipping and applicable taxes.

Our first build of this style was with EL166 mid-bass drivers that IIRC sold for about $45 ea? - not quite as pretty as the Alpairs, but still work very well - and the now superceded Fostex FF85K.

These were a statement build, and even a single woofer per side in an enclosure approx half the CSA would work fine - particularly if a sub is available for the heavy lifting below, say 100. Actually, I'm currently using these in my little 7.1 home theatre, crossed over the the LFE channel at THX level of 80Hz, so the dual woofers per side are hardly breaking a sweat at my normal listening levels - well below 90dB A at 3meters in 340sq ft room.

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd January 2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: edit for clarity?
Old 4th January 2017, 03:55 AM   #16
hobbers is offline hobbers  Canada
diyAudio Member

From the size of your room and type of music you listened to, plus your interest in this style of enclosure, I can highly recommend Woden Designs Victor with the ff165wk.

I've also been enjoying Planet10's mar-ken12pwt. They're more detailed and have beautiful bass but for blues and rock and in a room of yours size I'd pick the Victors. Theyre also very good for movies.

Bernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161222_130640373.jpg (832.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161022_150257610.jpg (313.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160305_111605.jpg (541.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 4th January 2017, 09:59 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Bernie - is that the second pair of Victors?
Old 4th January 2017, 10:35 PM   #18
hobbers is offline hobbers  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris, yes that's the second pair. Wish I had the first pair still so I could have compared the two. From memory I'd say the ff165wk sounds better then the 166esr's did. These ones are a bit heavier too, I put 30lbs of sand in the voids per enclosure. If I had the space I'd get Scott to design a pair without any size constraints. I believe I read that he said he could extract more from the driver but he kept it to 5x5 sheet size.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Okay, the reason I am not continuing to discuss the single driver is because I have a solid state amp. Others have advised me that that is problematic because of high output impedance.....
Old 5th January 2017, 02:23 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Although if someone thought this is wrong, I'm in for the Victor with all that size...The idea of a simple BIG horn is appealling.

Opinions requested to help me select the best horn/fullrange driversHide this!Advertise here!