Tv center speaker- stereo ? don't care - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 11th November 2016, 09:55 PM   #1
frazier is offline frazier  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tv center speaker- stereo ? don't care

I'm looking for a fr design to go under the tv . I have space where a sound bar resides now, 36" wide 18" deep 8 or 9" tall . This won't be a stereo center ch. my music listening is taken care of. The ears i'm blessed with require articulate mids, voice for sure. Thanks harold
Old 11th November 2016, 11:25 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi frazier, please see here:

NOTICE: Planet10 operations
Old 12th November 2016, 09:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Given the size of space you mention & that it's for centre channel use, I'm fairly sure Dave's recommendation would be for either an Alpair 7.3 or Alpair 10P/10.3 Both units are excellent on voice / speech. The 7.3 has an edge, but being a smaller driver it's outright sensitivity is lower, so it depends how far you are from the screen and what SPLs you needing.

In both cases, since it's for centre-channel use, you're unlikely to need all that space; most centre channels are bandwidth limited so sealed boxes are quite common, neither of which needs to be particularly large. Vented is possible though if preferred. I'm not sure whether Dave has a dedicated centre-channel design mar-Ken design in his plansets; unfortunately he's out of action at present for medical reasons, and I don't have access to his server to check. In the absense, I'll suggest sealed with a Qtc in the high 0.6 regions, or a reasonably damped reflex alignment.
Old 12th November 2016, 03:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scottmoose I have a pair of Pluvia 7's in sealed break in boxes in my shop. I'll check if the smaller driver works for spl, didn't even think of it. The seating position is 12 feet away.
Old 12th November 2016, 05:44 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

As Cal noted above, Dave is currently dealing with medical issues, and will not likely be available to view / respond to any of these fora for at least a few weeks, so in the short term be prepared for a conversation with a few other voices contributing.

FWIW, I've used both A7.3 and A10P in centre channel of my 7.1 system -in enclosures with Dave's typical high aspect ratio slot ports. Primary seating distance is 10ft. As my enclosures have to date been located immediately below the screen on a "lowish" height equipment stand, the fronts have been titled to 5dg - an aesthetic that we started with the original Tysen a few years back, and which I've quite come to like - it's been incorporated into all of the FH designs from FH3 forward, and several others as well.

From the height you have available, I'd be inclined towards either of the 10cm models (A10s/ Pluvia 11) . Considering the huge amount of signal processing and EQ in any movie I've ever seen, I doubt that the lesser degree of low signal level resolution that might be discernible in the Pluvias compared to the Alpairs would be a significant disadvantage.

Scott could comment on how close the Pluvia's T/S parameters are to those of the Alpairs, and the efficacy of dropping the former into enclosures originally designed for the latter. My own opinion as regards to use in HT surround systems is is that as most modern DSPs provide the flexibility to set HP filter crossover frequency for each of the front row main and 4 or more surround channels separately, the frequency bandwidth where any enclosure tuning misalignment might most notably show in modelling or listening - i.e. the bottom couple of octaves - can easily be directed to the LFE channel's output to separately powered sub woofer(s)

Last edited by chrisb; 12th November 2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12th November 2016, 09:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

frazier - as a follow up to above, after up-sizing from the A7.3 to A10P for my center channel, I'd be inclined to recommend the larger size if your budget could be stretched.

The Pluvia7s would make for a great small surround - I particularly found the front height in a non Atmos 7.1 setup made a noticeable improvement . I'm presently using CHP70s there - might upgrade those someday, but heftier subs will probably be next in line after a larger 4K screen sometime between now and Christmas.
Old 14th November 2016, 05:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I noticed Madisound has alpair 10 m on sale. Would it be feasible to build reflex set up ,rear port ,and lay them their side in a soundbar kind of style?
Old 14th November 2016, 10:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, but if they're going to be sitting in a cavity, you'll have uncontrollable LF behaviour if rear-vented. Speaking in generalised terms, most centre channels are BW limited & have relatively little LF output, so vented is of questionable value in their case.
Old 14th November 2016, 03:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I see what you mean Scottmoose. I think what I will do is build a good design bookshelf speaker , try them sealed or open slot , and go from there. No sense trying to invent the wheel. Thanks much Hal
Old 14th November 2016, 07:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Not to contradict Dr Moose, but I've built a couple of successful front vented enclosures with the A10 - in fact my current center channel with A10P is one of Dave's designs.

Madisound's current price on the A10.3 is a bargoon on which I'd jump - if I didn't already have more built speakers than my damaged rotator cuff would allow me to shake a stick at.

Hide this!Advertise here!