Tv center speaker- stereo ? don't care - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 14th November 2016, 07:38 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Agreed, front venting's fine. I just wouldn't use a rear vent for a centre channel since typical positioning for such units is not ideal for such a configuration.
Old 15th November 2016, 02:29 AM   #12
frazier is offline frazier  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris Does center channel receive stereo or mono in a H T setup? I would like to simplify my setup and use only center channel for all my T.V. viewing [ at this time]. If I may ask what are approximate dims. of your center ch. cabinet?
Old 16th November 2016, 04:49 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is were so much of the fun of DSP multi-channel surround system derives - when set up for a center channel speaker, it's a discrete channel with separate content from however many of the other possible channels are connected. When speaker set up is selected with "center?=no", that content is then steered to the L&R front mains , and as with other stereo audio should be perceived by the listener as a phantom image.

"Mono" to me would imply the exact same full band content in all speakers - i.e. could be more than one, as in background / PA systems in a restaurant, etc.

edit: just dug out the sketch from Dave for my A10P center enclosure: 496mm W x 206mm H x 229mm D. Front baffle slanted forward at 5dg, a pair of 9mm x 150mm slot ports at each end - rear vented in my case since the system is on an open stand with at least 300mm to the back wall .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-15 05.56.38.jpg (422.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07-15 05.57.25.jpg (442.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07-15 06.04.09.jpg (312.4 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by chrisb; 16th November 2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:27 PM   #14
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

some argue that the center channel is the main channel for all viewing. even in surround most things happen center screen, go as big(or quality) as you can
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

rock; indeed - when futzing around chasing down a ground loop hum while setting up my latest screen upgrade - turned out to be one of the sub woofer amps - I was in very near proximity to the front 3 while playing a movie - almost nothing coming out of the L&R mains when simple dialog is the only content.
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I hear you Rock and Chrisb , some of my issue may be source, speakers, room, no particular order. I was thinking first, the room is horrible even for stereo.2nd For tv and movies ,av amp of at least some quality is required , am I being logical to run left right audio [stereo] to a center channel design?? Two speakers horizontal ?? I think I can deal with the room somewhat , but on my budget a good a.v.amp, not so much. thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure I quite understand the questions packed into that post.

As might be obvious to someone tracking my rambling posts spanning many forum categories over the past several years, I've spent much more time / resources recently trying to fine tune a "modest" surround system. For any number of reasons - budget among them- the thrill of the chase towards a "transcendental" 2 channel audio only system is now as faint and distant memory as the honeymoon years of my marriage, and as with such a 45yr relationship, I'm now happy to seek a comfortable compromise. I'll leave the carousel of chasing that brass ring to the professionals and much younger cohort. At a certain age, even a low speed mount/dismount from that circular ride can be injurious to the joints, and wallet.

There will of course be alternate views to the question of discrete or "phantom" centre channel, but over the approx 15 yrs since my first attempt at a surround system, I've found that the former - ( i.e. discrete) -using a speaker system with as close to identical tonal signature to the L& R mains as the limitations often imposed by available space might allow - simply "works" better for me. As it just so happens, I'm currently using a single "FR" driver in that location, and a larger MTM 2-way for the "mains".

I've also taken full advantage of what I consider one of the biggest gifts in the past 20yrs to the amateur attempting such a system -affordable and user friendly DSP for speaker calibration and EQ - mine happens to be Audyssey XT32. Plug it all in and push go; they'll even stop to tell you when one of the speakers is out of phase- with up to 7, before Atmos is much easier to occur than you'd like.

I think I've been wise to quit window shopping the market since updating my AVR, but as I last recall a decent enough 5.1 receiver with 40-50 real watts could be attained for less than $500? please price-check that.

Unless budget is unrestrained, and if looking to systemically escalate to a new system, I'd be inclined to counsel starting with the receiver/surround DSP first, and learn its capabilities front to back - before the speakers. Then "decent enough" centre and mandatory sub(s) - I happen to be a fan of the multiple /smaller approach. Then the rear/side and if supported by the AVR - oh, I guess that would require at least 7.1 - the front heights - after decent subs, I found that even using modest 4" FR drivers there was a big surprise . I'm easily entertained sometimes, and sure hope I never get exposed to an in home Atmos experience. I've watched enough big screen iMax movies to know why I've been forced to go for a bigger screen, but rationalize that a full 12.2 - or beyond- is just not possible on the modest, hopefully soon to be retired government pension income to which I can eagerly look firward.

Not sure if that helped crystallize anything for you - I sorta lost track of time/space for a bit there

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd December 2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:07 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Chris Thanks DSP seems to be the ticket. Can I assume all your speakers were hand built, and with like drivers ? Thanks again
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

frazier - yup all home made - have played around a bit with the front row over the past year, but current configuration is:
-L&R mains - A12PW/A7.3 MTM, passive XO @ 300Hz (might even try the MAOPS in there? )
- Center - Alpair 10P or 10.3 in small vented enclosures - the10.3s are a better match to the 7.3 in mains
- Front Height Surrounds - MA CHP70 in mini onKen of some nomenclature
- Rear Surrounds - Alpair 6.2 metals in tiny sealed
- "Subs" - dual Eastech 7" woofers per side in corner mounted vented enclosures. - Probably now the weakest link for deep extension, but that's something to look forward to upgrading, I guess.

To be clear, the DSP is an integral part of the surround receiver - in my current case an Onkyo TX NR818, but I've installed a couple of Marantz units for family members, and they're nothing to sneeze at either.

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd December 2016 at 06:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!