Frugel-Horn mk3 and A 10.3 m - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 9th November 2016, 07:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel-Horn mk3 and A 10.3 m

I have built the small Frugel-Horn Lite since I've never built a horn speaker, and I had a couple of Vifa TC9FD in stock, I am very impressed with the resultats, it's just a wonderful speaker !!, and now I just want more :-)

I have a couple of Mark Audio 10.3 M, which is now playing in a bassreflex cabinet, but after these horn speakers there's just no way back, it seems obviously to build Frugel-Horn XL but I ran into problems with WAF factor :-(

The question is if I can use Markaudio 10.3 M in the normal Frugel-Horn mk3, and there are some direct disadvantages of this, I have not the money to buy new units currently.

I've searched here on the forum but can not find anything about this.

Sincerely 3116
Old 9th November 2016, 11:44 PM   #2
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

The Frugel-Horn
Old 10th November 2016, 12:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

As I recall (I'm currently on my laptop sans my data files) the 10.3 & 10P do not actually physically fit FH3. While an additional suprabaffle could be added, FH3 doesn't have sufficient bulk for the larger units acoustically speaking either, so you'll lose out on LF gain. That's why I designed FHXL, which was done specifically for these units. Perhaps you could convince your good lady by getting her to select the finish. It's not a small box admittedly, but it's an elegant shape, so can either blend with décor or be a statement piece as preferred.
Old 10th November 2016, 06:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My problem with XL is that they are too deep in relation to the WAF 50 cm. I will probably end up building the original MK3 with A 10.3

I was just curious if there were some of you experienced people who had tried.

when the project is finished, I repporter back on the result, but I am slow build so it'll probably be some time before they are finished.

Thanks for the replies from 3116
Old 10th November 2016, 07:11 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Even if you could shoe horn them in, I wouldn't recommend the 10.3 in the FH3 - I'm pretty sure Scott has the math to support that opinion.

While a big fan of the FH series, I think I'm on record of recommending the pertinent Pensil design whenever the issue of WAF / available floor space get in the way - which has certainly happened to me.
Old 10th November 2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

planet10 is currently unavailable due to a medical condition. He is not expected to respond anytime in the next two weeks.
Old 11th November 2016, 02:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
planet10 is currently unavailable due to a medical condition. He is not expected to respond anytime in the next two weeks.
That doesn't sound very good! Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.
Old 11th November 2016, 06:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sad to hear I hope for him that he gets well soon.

My plan is to start building FH, I start with an A 10.3 M is not the result I want, I dig some gold up to the A7.

In the meantime, I enjoy my FHL, which I can only recommend, I had in no way foreseen that they would be as pleasant an experience.

Sincerely 3116
Old 12th November 2016, 09:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Glad you're enjoying them.

Note that the 10.3 is about the same external width as FH3, making mounting difficult & flush mounting (vital for good performance with these units) impossible, unless an additional sub-baffle (suprabaffle) is used. In terms of the basic alignment, it will actually work, although you won't get the extension the 10.3 is capable of.
Old 12th November 2016, 09:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I plan to make the sides of 22 mm. then the wide become184 mm. , unit itself is approximately 160 mm. , could it solve the problem ?.
you are right that I do not get the full potential from 10.3 in the LF range, as long as I utilize the cabinet full potential I am satisfied.

Sincerely 3116

Hide this!Advertise here!