Frugel-Horn mk3 and A 10.3 m - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 12th November 2016, 12:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

You won't be using the cabinet to its full potential either, since its functional BW is not ideally matched to the 10.3 requirements. Loudspeakers are systems rather than independent / isolated parts, so all aspects come into play. It will work to an extent, but it will not realise the acoustic goals set out for FH3.
Old 12th November 2016, 09:01 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

that "will it work?" is one that always gets my goat - yes, in the strictest sense of the word, energy will be consumed and heat / movement generated - but absent the happenstance of random good fortune, the results may be far less than optimal

or not

presently being in a rather reflective and philosophical space - I'd say - kinda like life actually
Old 12th November 2016, 09:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Only too true. You never know what's around the corner. I guess we all just try to do the best we can.
Old 13th November 2016, 02:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't it be easier to just build a very simple Pensil 10.3 cabinet? It is only 6 pieces of good quality plywood glued together. The Pensil 10.3 is optimized for the 10.3M and works very well. It also fits the 50mm depth WAF restriction. It can be very easily veneered in whatever is available at the local hardwood shop and can appear very elegant when finished.
Old 13th November 2016, 09:40 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Indeed - at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum - I've said that numerous times re all of the models in the FH family. While the Pensils for any given model of MA driver might lose a little bit of the soundstage spread/ blossom as I like to think of it compared to the FHs, they all have shallower footprints, are less fussy re placement in regards to side/rear will boundaries, and for most folks are much simpler builds.
Old 14th November 2016, 12:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

It is true pencils with 10.3 WAF is approved, my problem is created by myself, my experiences with FHL was so mind blowing and I'm so in love with the design philosophy, I must simply make the next FH speaker.
I've decided I sell my A 10.3 when the time comes and buys a couple of A7,it's just the way they sing I love and it deserves the units that are appropriate for your project.
Thank you for your various answers that have quietly made me change plans, A7 is the answer.

Sincerely 3116th

Hide this!Advertise here!