• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn mk3 and A 10.3 m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built the small Frugel-Horn Lite since I've never built a horn speaker, and I had a couple of Vifa TC9FD in stock, I am very impressed with the resultats, it's just a wonderful speaker !!, and now I just want more :)

I have a couple of Mark Audio 10.3 M, which is now playing in a bassreflex cabinet, but after these horn speakers there's just no way back, it seems obviously to build Frugel-Horn XL but I ran into problems with WAF factor :-(

The question is if I can use Markaudio 10.3 M in the normal Frugel-Horn mk3, and there are some direct disadvantages of this, I have not the money to buy new units currently.

I've searched here on the forum but can not find anything about this.

Sincerely 3116

As I recall (I'm currently on my laptop sans my data files) the 10.3 & 10P do not actually physically fit FH3. While an additional suprabaffle could be added, FH3 doesn't have sufficient bulk for the larger units acoustically speaking either, so you'll lose out on LF gain. That's why I designed FHXL, which was done specifically for these units. Perhaps you could convince your good lady by getting her to select the finish. It's not a small box admittedly, but it's an elegant shape, so can either blend with décor or be a statement piece as preferred.

My problem with XL is that they are too deep in relation to the WAF 50 cm. I will probably end up building the original MK3 with A 10.3

I was just curious if there were some of you experienced people who had tried.

when the project is finished, I repporter back on the result, but I am slow build so it'll probably be some time before they are finished.

Thanks for the replies from 3116

Even if you could shoe horn them in, I wouldn't recommend the 10.3 in the FH3 - I'm pretty sure Scott has the math to support that opinion.

While a big fan of the FH series, I think I'm on record of recommending the pertinent Pensil design whenever the issue of WAF / available floor space get in the way - which has certainly happened to me.

Sad to hear I hope for him that he gets well soon.

My plan is to start building FH, I start with an A 10.3 M is not the result I want, I dig some gold up to the A7.

In the meantime, I enjoy my FHL, which I can only recommend, I had in no way foreseen that they would be as pleasant an experience.

Sincerely 3116

Glad you're enjoying them.

Note that the 10.3 is about the same external width as FH3, making mounting difficult & flush mounting (vital for good performance with these units) impossible, unless an additional sub-baffle (suprabaffle) is used. In terms of the basic alignment, it will actually work, although you won't get the extension the 10.3 is capable of.

I plan to make the sides of 22 mm. then the wide become184 mm. , unit itself is approximately 160 mm. , could it solve the problem ?.
you are right that I do not get the full potential from 10.3 in the LF range, as long as I utilize the cabinet full potential I am satisfied.

Sincerely 3116

that "will it work?" is one that always gets my goat - yes, in the strictest sense of the word, energy will be consumed and heat / movement generated - but absent the happenstance of random good fortune, the results may be far less than optimal

or not

presently being in a rather reflective and philosophical space - I'd say - kinda like life actually

Wouldn't it be easier to just build a very simple Pensil 10.3 cabinet? It is only 6 pieces of good quality plywood glued together. The Pensil 10.3 is optimized for the 10.3M and works very well. It also fits the 50mm depth WAF restriction. It can be very easily veneered in whatever is available at the local hardwood shop and can appear very elegant when finished.

Indeed - at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum - I've said that numerous times re all of the models in the FH family. While the Pensils for any given model of MA driver might lose a little bit of the soundstage spread/ blossom as I like to think of it compared to the FHs, they all have shallower footprints, are less fussy re placement in regards to side/rear will boundaries, and for most folks are much simpler builds.

It is true pencils with 10.3 WAF is approved, my problem is created by myself, my experiences with FHL was so mind blowing and I'm so in love with the design philosophy, I must simply make the next FH speaker.
I've decided I sell my A 10.3 when the time comes and buys a couple of A7,it's just the way they sing I love and it deserves the units that are appropriate for your project.
Thank you for your various answers that have quietly made me change plans, A7 is the answer.

Sincerely 3116th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.