Wide or slim CGR dMar-Ken cabinet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 12th July 2016, 04:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wide or slim CGR dMar-Ken cabinet?

Hello,
I'm planning to build my first set of speakers and after quite a bit of research I decided to start the DIY journey with the Classic Golden Ratio dMar-Ken7.3.

Now the question is: what should be taken into consideration when choosing between the wide or slim version (where the latter is essentially a wide version vertically rotated by 90 degrees)? Do they have different characteristics, especially in the bass and imaging department? Or is it speaker placement/room characteristics dependent? Or the whole question is a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks for helping me to make an educated decision!

Last edited by LaszloGogolak; 12th July 2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 13th July 2016, 04:08 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Laszlo,

The primary difference between wide & narrow is where baffle-step loss happens. The wide will be a bit over an octave lower, and if placed near the wall, that will reduce the need for baffle-step compensation (note that we rarely use any).

The CGRs are all wide and shallow as a default.

dave
Old 13th July 2016, 02:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave! I much prefer the wide baffle aesthetically and based on my readings about baffle-step loss I supposed it can go lower -- very nice to get confirmation for you, that it actually does.

"if placed near the wall, that will reduce the need for baffle-step compensation" -- Does the placement of port/slot opening has any relevance here?

Last edited by LaszloGogolak; 13th July 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 14th July 2016, 04:09 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Does the placement of port/slot opening has any relevance here?
You don't want to block it. If close to a boundary you might get a little lift at the tuning frequencies.

dave
Old 14th July 2016, 08:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Front ported it is then.
Thanks for the input!

Hide this!Advertise here!