• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Wide or slim CGR dMar-Ken cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm planning to build my first set of speakers and after quite a bit of research I decided to start the DIY journey with the Classic Golden Ratio dMar-Ken7.3.

Now the question is: what should be taken into consideration when choosing between the wide or slim version (where the latter is essentially a wide version vertically rotated by 90 degrees)? Do they have different characteristics, especially in the bass and imaging department? Or is it speaker placement/room characteristics dependent? Or the whole question is a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks for helping me to make an educated decision!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Laszlo,

The primary difference between wide & narrow is where baffle-step loss happens. The wide will be a bit over an octave lower, and if placed near the wall, that will reduce the need for baffle-step compensation (note that we rarely use any).

The CGRs are all wide and shallow as a default.

dave

Thanks Dave! I much prefer the wide baffle aesthetically and based on my readings about baffle-step loss I supposed it can go lower -- very nice to get confirmation for you, that it actually does.

"if placed near the wall, that will reduce the need for baffle-step compensation" -- Does the placement of port/slot opening has any relevance here?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.