Markaudio Alpair 5 Gen2 Pensil Plans - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 18th March 2016, 10:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Markaudio Alpair 5 Gen2 Pensil Plans

Hello out there, does anyone know if a version of the Pensil housing for the Alpair 5 Gen2 exists? Where can i get it? Thanks for reply.
Old 19th March 2016, 12:31 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is no Pensil for the A5.2, but Scott has designed an ML-TL somewhat similar to a pencil. We have built it and performance is good (just a touch less so than the Frugel-Horn Lite)

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Gir...v99-081015.pdf

dave
Old 19th March 2016, 02:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great, many thanks Dave and Scott. Will upload some pictures when done. First, buy a pair of Alpair 5 on ebay. Greets
Old 23rd March 2016, 03:16 AM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Several months ago I built at least 5 different enclosure designs for the A5.2, including the Giraffes. Having been a big fan of Scott's Pensils and the like for years, I'd be remiss in not saying that if your floor space will allow, the FH lite is well worth a look as well.

I've build quite a few examples of every model in the FH family, and while none are as simple a build as an MLTL for the same driver, I do think they outperform them several ways.

Whichever design you choose, some suggestions:
- it should be considered mandatory to both countersink all of Mark's thick bezeled drivers - but not the new CHS70/Pluvia 7, or the lower priced and less refined CHN70 - , and to chamfer the rear side of driver cutout as deeply as material will allow.
- a decent grade plywood "Baltic birch" etc is worth every extra dollar / Euro spent
- the drivers will take quite a few hours to fully break- in, so assessment of damping fill levels should be made after the 200+ hr point. Yes, that does mean some temporary arrangement to seal one side ( or in the case of MLTLs, the backs) during this interim

Last edited by chrisb; 23rd March 2016 at 03:26 AM.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for hints Chrisb. Actually i'm also interested in the FrugelHorn but first i'm not very good in woodwork, second they have to be put in front of a wall max 15 cm between wall and back of the loudspeaker. Anyway, maybe i'll givem them a shot this year. Greets
Old 28th March 2016, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The cute little design of Scott's that Dave posted above is well worth a look. They are a much simpler build than the curved sided FHs, with a very compact footprint that makes for very easy placement - mind you they can be a bit tippy, so an extended base plate, outriggers, or a stone tile plinth for ballast would be a wise plan.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry Scottmoose, couldn't resist..........

While the Alpair-Driver is beginning with break-in phase yesterday, i'm using the SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4.

For that size of speaker impressive Bass down to the mid 50th and overall a comfortable listening experience.

i'm tempted to build a second giraffe for that driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giraffe.jpg (43.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 8th April 2016, 11:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

well maybe I'll beat Scott to saying this - if using a different driver than for which originally designed, it might well sound decent enough, but wouldn't technically be a Giraffe
Old 9th April 2016, 05:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

In my eyes, it's a Giraffe. A cabinet design is just a description of dimensions, how deep, width and so on, with a specific driver in mind, that was given a name. If you put 'a wrong' driver in it, it's still the same cabinet. How do you call a FrugelHorn Lite with the Alpair 5 Gen2 in it?
Old 9th April 2016, 05:58 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
How do you call a FrugelHorn Lite with the Alpair 5 Gen2
Frugel-Horn Lite with Alpair 5.2

But all the frugel-horns have been designed for multiple drivers.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!