Under Construction FrugalHorn LegHorn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 22nd December 2015, 02:18 AM   #1
JR_W is offline JR_W  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Under Construction FrugalHorn LegHorn

These have been modified just a tad, something I've been kicking around for a bit.

The top 9 1/4 inches have been trimmed parallel on the front/back, with a little ledge left at the bottom of the back cut. Then trimmed the flare at the bottom off a little and made some bases 2 1/4 inches tall.

The reason- I routered a couple of holes just the size of the top of the horn, toed in a few degrees, into a 30" x 60" x 1 3/4" butcher block maple cabinet top. I am going to slip the horns up into those holes until it stops at the ledge on the back. This will leave 7 1/2 inches of the speaker sticking up through the table top, but puts the top at 27 3/4 inches, so that's where the bases come into play.

With the entire curved flare on the bottom, the desk would have to set out away from the wall too far, or the speakers would have to be moved too far forward on the desktop. These will be the rear legs, I have adjustable Ikea legs for the fronts.

Computer desk here one of these days, I just thought I'd better get some pre-assembled shots for context, these have a few coats of super blonde shellac, the fronts and tops veneered with 1/64" birch ply - wouldn't use again, very thin plys.

I could upload the pics of the speakers, but get a size violation with the desk pics, ànd they are smaller. I'll use a camera next time ànd resize them.

And don't hesitate to delete this thread if it's in the wrong section or is otherwise offensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151221_195633.jpg (388.5 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg 20151221_195716.jpg (385.1 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by JR_W; 22nd December 2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:24 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The back curve does contribute to the full expression of the bass. But there is a firm in Ireland that is trying to commercially market a version of the FH3 with the entire back bit cut right off. They, and the review i saw, feel that works OK, so despite the mutation of the rear curve you have made, you should still have a good speaker.

dave
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a compromise, but then again having the driver right over a large desktop isn't optimal, either. The base is 12 1/2" long now, that cut was also parallel to the front (I'm lazy).

And there's the wall that's going to be pretty near the back, hopefully the toe angle will open up a little breathing room.

Even with these issues, I bet they will be pretty decent computer speakers, Alpair 7.3 loaded.

I bought these flat packs from you a while back, and have to say they were a joy to assemble, I have way more work in the simple veneer and shellac job than assembling the cabinets ever was. Depending on stability, I may have to tack a couple of cleats onto the sides for the desktop to rest on, but I can do that when assembled.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:48 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I bet they will be pretty decent computer speakers, Alpair 7.3 loaded
Yes.

Ignoring glue drying time Chris can do the raw assembly of a flat-pak quicker than i can pack one up for shipping.

dave
Old 23rd December 2015, 03:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK, getting closer now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desk1.jpg (579.5 KB, 381 views)
Old 24th December 2015, 03:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

We have tunes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desk3.jpg (546.4 KB, 347 views)
Old 24th December 2015, 05:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Still a little cable management to tidy up, but it's jamming now.

The sound quality is pretty impressive, I'm pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desk5.jpg (687.7 KB, 332 views)
Old 24th December 2015, 05:57 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The sound quality is pretty impressive, I'm pleased.
Old 24th December 2015, 05:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

They have the full amount of stuffing in the front chamber, I think they are near perfectly balanced. The drivers don't have much time on them, but "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" reveals that they really can produce surprising bass at even low volume.

The imaging is spot on, I have to wonder if the desktop surrounding the columns isn't helping, in a near-field sort of way. And the toe-in seems to be spot on (good thing, huh), it's like the computer screen is the source.

This is exactly the effect I was going for, killer computer desk sound.
Old 29th December 2015, 09:10 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It took a while to figure out exactly what the notch in back of side panels was for - pretty darned cute, mate

try Patricia Barber, Modern Cool, "Post Modern Blues", or Bozzio, Levin and Stevens -"Duende" for bass extension, slide and articulation, and on the Bozzio track, the textures and imaging of what must be a very large drum kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_izASnhj1Q

just Google "Terry Bozzio drum kit" - I sure don't envy the roadies

Hide this!Advertise here!