• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Under Construction FrugalHorn LegHorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These have been modified just a tad, something I've been kicking around for a bit.

The top 9 1/4 inches have been trimmed parallel on the front/back, with a little ledge left at the bottom of the back cut. Then trimmed the flare at the bottom off a little and made some bases 2 1/4 inches tall.

The reason- I routered a couple of holes just the size of the top of the horn, toed in a few degrees, into a 30" x 60" x 1 3/4" butcher block maple cabinet top. I am going to slip the horns up into those holes until it stops at the ledge on the back. This will leave 7 1/2 inches of the speaker sticking up through the table top, but puts the top at 27 3/4 inches, so that's where the bases come into play.

With the entire curved flare on the bottom, the desk would have to set out away from the wall too far, or the speakers would have to be moved too far forward on the desktop. These will be the rear legs, I have adjustable Ikea legs for the fronts.

Computer desk here one of these days, I just thought I'd better get some pre-assembled shots for context, these have a few coats of super blonde shellac, the fronts and tops veneered with 1/64" birch ply - wouldn't use again, very thin plys.

I could upload the pics of the speakers, but get a size violation with the desk pics, ànd they are smaller. I'll use a camera next time ànd resize them.

And don't hesitate to delete this thread if it's in the wrong section or is otherwise offensive.

Attachments

• 20151221_195633.jpg
    20151221_195633.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 555
  • 20151221_195716.jpg
    20151221_195716.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The back curve does contribute to the full expression of the bass. But there is a firm in Ireland that is trying to commercially market a version of the FH3 with the entire back bit cut right off. They, and the review i saw, feel that works OK, so despite the mutation of the rear curve you have made, you should still have a good speaker.

dave

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a compromise, but then again having the driver right over a large desktop isn't optimal, either. :) The base is 12 1/2" long now, that cut was also parallel to the front (I'm lazy).

And there's the wall that's going to be pretty near the back, hopefully the toe angle will open up a little breathing room.

Even with these issues, I bet they will be pretty decent computer speakers, Alpair 7.3 loaded.

I bought these flat packs from you a while back, and have to say they were a joy to assemble, I have way more work in the simple veneer and shellac job than assembling the cabinets ever was. Depending on stability, I may have to tack a couple of cleats onto the sides for the desktop to rest on, but I can do that when assembled.

They have the full amount of stuffing in the front chamber, I think they are near perfectly balanced. The drivers don't have much time on them, but "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" reveals that they really can produce surprising bass at even low volume.

The imaging is spot on, I have to wonder if the desktop surrounding the columns isn't helping, in a near-field sort of way. And the toe-in seems to be spot on (good thing, huh), it's like the computer screen is the source.

This is exactly the effect I was going for, killer computer desk sound.

It took a while to figure out exactly what the notch in back of side panels was for - pretty darned cute, mate

try Patricia Barber, Modern Cool, "Post Modern Blues", or Bozzio, Levin and Stevens -"Duende" for bass extension, slide and articulation, and on the Bozzio track, the textures and imaging of what must be a very large drum kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_izASnhj1Q

just Google "Terry Bozzio drum kit" - I sure don't envy the roadies

Thanks, it really turned out even better than I had hoped. I wasn't sure the little ledge would be enough to keep the whole mess stable, but it does a good job as long as the towers are carefully leveled. Adding cleats to the sides of the speakers to would be easy and would make it a lot simpler to get steadied up.

I have a pair of Perreaux SX60M amps that do a better job than the little Topping, but lack the volume control knob - a feature I just about have to have. I use USB for computer sound (and can control that volume on the mouse), but have a Sonos connected to the coax in of the DAC so it can double as a stand alone stereo. I thought I'd try the Emotiva Control Freak between the DAC and SX60Ms instead of a passive pre. I tried a LDR volume control, but the gain structure is out of whack and the lowest volume level was way too high.

Anyway, the CF is supposed to be here tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the finished product then.

For the computer geek:

Asus Rampage V Extreme
Intel I7-5960X
Nvidia TitanX SLI
Water Cooled CPU/GPUs
32GB GSkill Ripjaws 4
EVGA 1200P2 PSU
Samsung M.2 951 256 GB system
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB files (hooked to a 4TB NAS, so I don't keep a lot on board)
StarTech PEXHDCAP60L HDMI Capture
Pioneer BDR-209M optical drive
BenQ BL-3201PH 4K monitor
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 mechanical
Roccat Kone Pure optical mouse
Musical Fidelity M1DAC
Planet10 FrugalHorns w/Alpair 7.3
Perreaux SX60M amps

And thanks for the Bozzio Levin Stevens heads-up, I'm listening to the entire Situation Dangerous album right now, gotta add that one to my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcJbl5V1Rg

Apologies, I even spelled it that way in the thread title.

Anyway, it's done. The little Perreaux amps are definitely a step up, and even though Amazon sent me the wrong Control Freak, it's up and running.

I like that Control Freak. I didn't know what to expect, but it's just what I wanted it to be.

That DAC, those amps, and the Frugel-Horns would make a pretty good system in its own right.

Attachments

• DeskDone.jpg
    DeskDone.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 503
The back curve does contribute to the full expression of the bass. But there is a firm in Ireland that is trying to commercially market a version of the FH3 with the entire back bit cut right off. They, and the review i saw, feel that works OK, so despite the mutation of the rear curve you have made, you should still have a good speaker.

dave

Hi Dave

Isn't that back cut off exactally as early FH mk1?

Tks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.