Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 9th November 2015, 03:05 AM   #11
Duncan80 is offline Duncan80  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Neither of the 2 1st mentioned Peerless are suited for sealed & bass production.

Standard sealed sims & a BR sim for each attached.

dave
I wish I was at a point in my learning that I could make sense of those graphs, but I can't. I do have a question though, I'm trying to learn about using the Linkwitz Transform through the minidsp to add to the lower end. Would that help in the decision of using any of these woofers in a sealed enclosure?

Just some more info: I have 2 tpa3116d amps on there way that I will be using. I have yet to order my minidsp, but I plan on ordering it when I decide on some woofers.
Old 9th November 2015, 03:12 AM   #12
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Silver Flute vs Peerless for FAST
If you can't understand those sims, you might have trouble with an LT because they are the starting point.

Basically an LT is a specific EQ that extends bass response. This requires more power and uses up excursion quickly.

dave
Old 9th November 2015, 03:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

is there a legend that describes what the color lines represent?

Any references you could point me to that could help with kick starting the learning process?
Old 9th November 2015, 04:05 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The ledgend under each vertical scale is in colour and is the legend.

Purple for (Impedance) Phase, Black for Magnitude (ie frequency response), Red for Excursion, Blue for (Group) Delay, Yellow for Impedance (Magnitude)

Information about each alignment in the bottom right panel.

dave
Old 10th November 2015, 12:56 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Dave, do you have a graph of one of the woofers you have used previously, so I could compare to the ones you previously posted? I'd hopefully be able to spot the differences and deduce what you were referring to earlier about the speakers I mentioned not being good candidates. If it's somethings that you don't have to go to much trouble with.
Old 10th November 2015, 01:52 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We like using the SDX7 sealed, as when vented they tend to "fart" in a vented enclosure, ie the VC will hit the back plate… no hint that they are nearing their limits. A bit of boost at 25 Hz or so, they do 25 Hz.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif SDX7-sealed-sims.gif (28.6 KB, 245 views)
Old 14th August 2017, 12:41 PM   #17
sarathssca is offline sarathssca  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
We haven't tried either of those Peerless, so i can't comment on them. The little 830870 is really good, the 5 in the same series likely carries some of the same pedigree.

We have only used the 830870 in ML-TL or ML-V. The Silver Flute W14 in a high aspect ratio vented enclosure (5 litre/driver), the 4" with a similar alignment is ~15 litre. Our next FAST will use 2 W14 in an ML-TL with FF85wKeN. The 140mm W14 is less pricey than the 100mm 830870.

Now, it should be noted that A10p in an appropriate enclosure will go lower than either of the 2. It isn't really something i'd pick for a FAST unless it was an OB (i do have one more of those in my head). 2 A10p in a 1.5 way should work well and move as much air as a FAST with it and 2 5 ".

Now if you are set of sealed that significantly reduces the selection. The SDX7 was outstanding in that respect but i have yet to find a replacement.

I'll have a quick look at those 2 Peerless and see how they align up.

dave
In which enclosure does alpair 10 will go lower than these woofers (silver flute W14 / peerless one). Is it BIB / frugal horn XL or any other?
Does it mean its better to go for a single alpair 10 speaker when compared with a fast setup with these woofers + FF85wk, (when not using a subwoofer)?
Old 14th August 2017, 07:07 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I recently checked the sims for the Peerless and they go about as low as the A10p in FHXL. Just checking now looks like the W14 has similar reach. The reason to go FAST is that the HP on the small driver means its mid/top is even better than it was when run FR. The XO does make it more complicated.

dave
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:38 AM   #19
sarathssca is offline sarathssca  India
diyAudio Member

How would a larger silver flute w20 the 8 inch one be mated with 3/4 inch full ranger ?? Would it go deeper into bass late 20s or around 30hz so that there won't be a subwoofer needed while using for movies ??
Old 26th October 2017, 08:13 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

An answer to the second question could easily get confounded by the "how low do you Need to go for music / movies?" question, where much fun is to be had. I personally think that even with a competent front main pair, that at least one sub is always need for a HT system - certainly if you want the full body immersion sub 20Hz performance of which some extol the virtues, the optimal location may not be coincident with the mains.

Silver Flute vs Peerless for FASTHide this!Advertise here!