• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

dMar-Ken7.3 prototypes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• dMar-Ken73-protos.jpg
    dMar-Ken73-protos.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 317
nothing wrong with the driver, per se - just dropping it into this box tuned for the 7.3 metal wasn't a huge success

Yes, application specifics and your target sound would certainly help

Having lived with a very size compromised room as one of several at home, I could make a couple of suggestions - the primary question would be whether you want full length floor standers, or monitor style and stands.

Last edited:
Rats, I hit the wrong button and unsubsribed from the ongoing thread---my fingers were faster than my brain! I like the writeup for the Alpair 7-3, it may be the right driver for me.

What I listen to: Mahler big stuff (symphonies 2 and 6 and 9, lots of passion and brain-wringing and schmaltzy strings, big horn/tympani drama. Beethoven and Bach on the piano, prefer Glenn Gould and Angela Hewitt. Love opera, esp Puccini and Prokoviev. Some lighter stuff---Madelaine Peyroux, the Doors, John Coltrane, Buddy Guy and almost any good sort of 5-piece blues band, Joe Bonamassa, Philip Glass (Koyannisqatsi my fave).

I loved the transient sparkle and uncolored sound and realism of the Maggies. They rolled off at 45 Hz or so, so i got an HSU 2 subwoofer, fast enought to keep up with them. I like a big soundstage, with precise positioning of instruments, not the "wandering soprano" effect of a vague soundstage. Occasionally the Maggies presented a singer with 4ft long vocal cords.... My hearing range (I'm 72) is from about 40 to 12k, so treble beyond that is wasted... Tonal accuracy very important, speaker should be able to make a sax sound like a sax and not a clarinet, and should differentiate trumpets from trombones, basson from oboe. Tall order for a 4inch solo driver!! I do not listen at concert hall level, but modest loudness---but not low level! Conversation should be possible with someone else in the room without shouting.

Do you know Clark Blumenstein? I liked his 3" minis, but they sometimes sounded outgunned with orchestral stuff, very nice for female vocal, like Diana Krall...

I know nothing about the Onken---what characterzes the sound???

Thanks for your patience, I do'nt have a lot and and will probably make a trip north sooner rather than later

Not for the trapezoids - those extra angles, particularly the combination of 2 on the side panel arrays make it rather labor intensive just to accurately size and dry fit the parts. Final assembly is also a bit trickier than a simple rectilinear box, and I fabricate jigs to ensure tight glue up of the angles.

Then there's the post fabrication veneering and finishing, which can take longer than the actual assembly - which when planned in advance allows one to cheat a bit and use a brad nailer on some of the panels.

There are plans of all the mini-onken family available for the adventurous, but to be honest, I'm not sure how of the traps have been built other than those by myself and Bernie.

Yes, we're familiar with Clark -I heard a pair of protos for his Orcas at Bud Purvine's place a couple of years back. Agree that the 83 initially used has some limitations, and it's interesting to see that he's also now using the 85 as well.

Based on your musical taste, the 7.3 would be the minimum driver I'd recommend, but whichever FR driver you finally select if you still have the HSU in the system, a HP filter on the amp driving the mains would benefit substantially in the overall clarity, dynamics and attainable SPL.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I loved the transient sparkle and uncolored sound and realism of the Maggies. They rolled off at 45 Hz or so, so i got an HSU 2 subwoofer, fast enought to keep up with them. I like a big soundstage, with precise positioning of instruments, not the "wandering soprano" effect of a vague soundstage. Occasionally the Maggies presented a singer with 4ft long vocal cords.... My hearing range (I'm 72) is from about 40 to 12k, so treble beyond that is wasted... Tonal accuracy very important, speaker should be able to make a sax sound like a sax and not a clarinet, and should differentiate trumpets from trombones, basson from oboe. Tall order for a 4inch solo driver!! I do not listen at concert hall level, but modest loudness---but not low level! Conversation should be possible with someone else in the room without shouting.

The A7.3 dMar-Ken officially don't go quite that low, but it is room dependent, but with the 2 subs what you want is low enuff to XO to the subs, i'd suggest 80-100Hz. What kind of XO do you use?

One if the hallmarks of the treated drivers & the trapezoidal miniOnkens is their ability to give a solid 3D image (if on the recording -- sometimes it is the recording that stretches the image).

The A7.3eN is a superb performer, i doubt you will have issues with their accuracy. And if you want to be able to maintain levels where you don't need to shout, then with the subs you are unlikely to have any issues with the levels you need (as long as the sats are high-passed)

As to your hearing, the spec you give is for the hearing system that percieves the frequency domain, humans have a 2nd system that perceives time response which does not degrade with age near as much, so more than 12k on the top will be beneficial.

Do you know Clark Blumenstein? I liked his 3" minis, but they sometimes sounded outgunned with orchestral stuff, very nice for female vocal, like Diana Krall...

It is very hard to get the FE83 to go much below 150 Hz, but our recent build with the ScanSpeak 10F show how little LF response is needed to give a satisfying result from many recordings.

I note that Clark is also now using the FF85wk which can be stretched down to 75-80 Hz. With its hard edges tamed, and with what EnABL brings, the FF85wKeN is a 1st class performer (as long as the lack of low bass isn't an issue)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not for the trapezoids - those extra angles, particularly the combination of 2 on the side panel arrays make it rather labor intensive just to accurately size and dry fit the parts. Final assembly is also a bit trickier than a simple rectilinear box, and I fabricate jigs to ensure tight glue up of the angles.

Having done a prototype flat-pak for the easier to build rectangular FonkenPrime, we know that it is easier to build a complete unfinished speaker than to do a flat-pak.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know nothing about the Onken---what characterzes the sound???

The primary thing is what the high aspect ratio vents bring to the bass. They effectively add an R to the vent math, making the tuning of the enclosure much less likely to go out of tune with shifts in the levels you are playing at -- both how high you have the volume control and within the dynamic shifts in the music. This gives a very tuneful, finessed, elegant reproduction of bass. How low it goes is as low as it goes, not as deep as a well done horn or ML-TL for instance.

The alignment used to achieve this also tends to make for a smaller box.

The other thing are those big champhers on the sides. They reduce the diffraction signature of the box -- more so in the trapezoid -- and go a long ways towards removing the enclosure from the soundstage. Close your eyes with a good recording and the boxes disappear.

dave

Thsanks so much for the informative respones, Dave and Chris, I really appreciate your taking time with me!!

. I have ACI 65Hz high-pass filters between my Manley Shrimp and the amp:

ACI Passive High Pass Filters

The HSu is powered(200w SS), and has its own crossover, selectable from 90HZ to 30 Hz, I usually ran it between 60 and 90 with the Maggies. I use it at a very low level, about 1 on a 1-10 scale, just enough to add a little grunt without being obvious.

I can stretch the budget to $650 for the A7e-onken, what kind of veneer is available??
The boxes with the A7p are very pretty!! They look tall, about 20 inches??? And the finish is....????

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ACI Passive High Pass Filters

Those are a generic application of a PLLXO. We use those in preference to anything. DIYing your own lets you build specifically foryour power-amp and use better parts than can be fitted into those little cylinders.

You can start with those and optimize as you goon.

I use it at a very low level, about 1 on a 1-10 scale, just enough to add a little grunt without being obvious.

Subwoofers are all too often used turned up too high. They should only show themselves when the music goes that low.

I can stretch the budget to $650 for the A7e-onken, what kind of veneer is available??
The boxes with the A7p are very pretty!! They look tall, about 20 inches??? And the finish is....????

At that price you get the prototype ones with new drivers. About 16" tall i believe. Finished in cherry veneer.

A bespoke pair from scratch with grills would run near double the asking price of this pair of demos.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.