• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil 7 build question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building some Pensil 7's (for Alpair 7.3) and was just wondering about putting a bit of a chamfer/roundover on the front face/baffle (the outside edge)? I've heard this is recommended but the plans don't mention anything about doing it. Not talking about on the inside for the driver to "breathe" - I have done that.

I'm not keen on square sharp edged boxes and thought maybe a 3/8 roundover bit around the edge might soften it a bit. Would this be detrimental at all to the designed sound signature for the box or in fact be advantageous?

Also, prior to commencing the build I trawled the net for pictures of other peoples build and found the pensil 7 thread over in the Markaudio section of this site however, most of the photo's aren't showing up for me. Just wondering if that is because it is quite old and the photos might not be hosted anymore or if is a problem at my end. The first photo I see is in post#13 and then post#32.

There is (or was) clearly a photo in post#2 by gazza but it doesn't show and there is no error or placeholder that you normally see when a linked photo has been moved or deleted.

Just wondering if someone else can have a looksee to confirm?

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pensil 7 or Pensil 7.3? I hope the latter.

The kind of round over you can get without specifically building it into the box will only affect the highest frequencies and by then the A7.3 is likely beaming, so will have little other than cosmetic effect. It won't hurt… i too find a square edge looks like the box is not finished.

most of the photo's aren't showing up for me.

As far as i have figured out so far, any pictures attached to the forum likely dissappeared when Mark deleted all the posts in his forum.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.