• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

mFonken?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at trying my hand at building a pair of speakers. The mFonken looks like something within my ability, and the physical size seems about right. But I'm not sure what driver to use. I have a pair of BK12m from madisound with the FE126en drivers and I like those, for both the sound and the drivers are in the price range I'm looking for. But as I understand it that driver won't work for the mFonken. I mostly listen to jazz and my amps are mostly SE tube amps. So I was hoping for a somewhat efficient driver too. What can be substituted in this design? should I looking at a different design?

That little mF (sorry, couldn't resist;) ), was originally designed for Fostex models such as now discontinued FE127E, and FE103E. With appropriate adjustment to vent tuning, should work well with FF105 & 125WK.

The 126 would "work" in the strictest sense of making sound, but would be severely limited as to LF extension and SPL in an enclosure this size - I'd expect either of the FFs, or even the newest SOL version of FE103 to surpass it overall in this design.

You've answered a couple of the standard questions, but it's also probably worth asking about the size of room and average listening levels.

I would not expect high listening levels, and there's a few different rooms it could end up in the largest might be 13x12 ish.

I think the main goal for me here is just to gain a little experience in the construction, then end up with a pair of speakers to use in a secondary or Tertiary system, but still sounds good.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The same millSize format works for a large number of drivers. FE126En is not one of them, but i have done a slighly smaller box for people who need a centre channel. It is a miniOnken, but it doesn't go low (maybe 100 Hz with a back wind). The lack of bass is because the FE126 really wants to be in a horn.

There are milliSize boxes for both FF105wk and FF125wk, as well as FE108eS, A6.2p, A7.3, CHR/CHP/CHN70, at least one Tangband and more.

FF125wk is probably closest to the FE127, but, at least stock, the FF105wk is a bit smoother at the price of bass & efficiency.

dave

Thanks

Here's the finished product. They sound great. Just got the plans for the Frugel-horn XLs. Looking forward to the next project. Thanks Dave.

Pete

Attachments

• 20151009_204707-1.jpg
    20151009_204707-1.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 20151102_212527z.jpg
    20151102_212527z.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 314
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.