Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers

...I have already read the document but it specifies the alpair 6.2 and I don't recall any mention of the gen 1. If I remember correctly gen 1 has a pensil designed for it but 6.2 was deemed unsuitable. So would like some reassurance that it is a good fit in this cab before cutting wood. :)

Hi giantstairs,

The pensil series is a driver-specific design. The Pensil was designed for the A6.1 and hence is unsuitable for the A6.2. The TSPs of both drivers differ from each other.

On the other hand, the FHLs, like the larger FH3, is a flexible design that can accommodate a large variety of 3” to 3.5” drivers, your A6.1 included, although it was not mentioned in the list. The rider is that you must be prepared to experiment with the front dampening to get the correct sound quality and to suit your taste. The original FHL was designed around the Fostex FF85WK so the published dampening quantities are suitable for these drivers. This will also serve as a guideline for experimenting with your own drivers. I’ve already tried out four different drivers so far and have faced no difficulty whatsoever. I plan to try out more drivers in future.

Go ahead with your build. Nothing’s going to go wrong. Just be prepared to spare some time for tweaking the front dampening. Good luck! :up:

There's no reason why you can't use these drivers in the FHLs. The Aura NS3 drivers with Fs 80Hz have been successfully tried out. The MA A5.2s have Fs 101 Hz and I'm enjoying these drivers presently. Only, you will have to adjust the front dampening for the lower Fs and experiment with it to suit your taste.

I suggest that you should use removeable baffles that you can try out different drivers later, if you like.

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try! :D

PS: If you're serious about the FF85WK, consider the 'Enabl' technique.
It advances the chassis from 90% to 110% on the hifi-scale.
For me it seems to eliminate some of the micro-distortions that are present
in every speaker-membrane during operation.
The net result is a more holographic sound-stage.

Hallow there. What this " 'Enabl' technique " you mention is ? After some "googling" I didn't found something usefull Regards

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hallow there. What this " 'Enabl' technique " you mention is ? After some "googling" I didn't found something usefull Regards

diy: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/119676-enabl-listening-impressions-techniques.html.
Posts 13-16 have significant meat in them. You’ll have to search the tread for the tap tecnique to figure out where the rings should go (or you can email me and i can measure my templates.

Already done (my site, only source so far)
planet_10 hifi | drivers
planet_10 hifi

dave

Hallow Dave (planet10) I'm start reading. By the way, did anyone tried Scan-Speak 10F/8424 G00 on an FHmini ? Does it worth the try or it is better to start and stay to Visaton FRS8 ? I have a pair of both drivers. Furthermore I have hear (by headphones) a video in youtube with TB W4-1879 (a very expensive driver -159 Euros, in my opinion). Does it worth to spend the money for the last one? Elias

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1/ YouTube Videos — any recording of a system — are not at all good for evaluating anything. The output is covolved with a whole swath of other stuff that negates any benefit.

2/ We have a pair of these. They are OK but not great, certainly not worth the asking price. And the pair matching on the ones we have is not very good. Also, one of the leading proponents of these for one of his commercial products is now touting the Mark Audio Alpair 10p as an upgrade.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
did anyone tried Scan-Speak 10F/8424 G00 on an FHmini ?

We have that 10F here, it is sadly lacking at bottom & top. It is quite smooth. Many websites more accurately call it a midrange The less expensive 10F/8414G-10 has a much better response range and is likely the best bet for FH-Lite. I a planning on getting some of these in my next Madisound order.

At least here in North America the Fostex FF85wk and the Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 (or either of the A6.2) are less expensive and known to be very good.

stay to Visaton FRS8 ? I have a pair of both drivers.

I am not familar with that Visaton so i cannot say. Is that the one that is highly regarded or the cheap one?

dave

PS: we build our FH-Lites with a simple supraBaffle that allows easy swapping of drivers (+ we have 3 pair, currently w FF85wKeN, Alpair 5.2eN, and an unobtainium TandBand that is outstanding)

Hallow again Dave

FRS8 is the cheap one. Not bad in a sealed 1,3 lt aluminum (electric junction) box. The rest (Alpair, Fostex,) are not available in Greece (and shipping cost is rather high ! Unfortunately !!! ) . Thanks for the advice . When I got 10F/8424G00, I got also a pair of tympany Passive radiator of the same diameter, planning to use it on a vented box together with a pair of Focal TN46 tweeter with XP around 5,6KHz - to have a stereo image 60degrees wide - with bi-amplification. All this were postponed due to the birth of my daughter (it is quite time consuming to take care of a new born girl). Regards Elias

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave I just show Alpair 10p Mark Audio Alpair 10P-A Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range and I don't like at all the curves I see. In contrast, the curves that given at B10-A10 are almost perfect. Witch of the two is the real one ? Elias

I don’t pay a who;e lot of attention to people’s measurements, as you don’t really know the context.

I find the Alpair 10p quite nice sounding (caveat: most of my listening with the A10PeN)

dave

Grafs are copied right now from www.hifisound.de
How 10F/8424G00 characterised as midrange in contrast to
10F/8414G10 characterised as fullrange. As anyone can see Resonance fs fs: 90 Hz for 10F/8424G00
Resonance fs fs: 100 Hz for 10F/8414G10
furthermore above 10KHz the graf on axis for the former looks to me better

Attachments

• 10F-8414G10.jpg
    10F-8414G10.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 662
  • 10F-8424G00.jpg
    10F-8424G00.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 653
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I haven’t heard the 8414 yet, but the 8424 we have are decidedly soft on top. The 8414 has a higher Qt which gives it more bass. Sims attached. Sealed + a close to flat reflex (the 8414 box can be 2x the 8424. The 8414 has better LF possibilities.

dave

Attachments

• SS-10F-8424-sims.gif
    SS-10F-8424-sims.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 656
  • SS-10F-8414-sims.gif
    SS-10F-8414-sims.gif
    31 KB · Views: 654