Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers

Hey guys,

I finished my tweeter section for the FHLite with the Aura NS3.

FHLite_Aura_w_Tweeter.jpg

Of course the soundstage is much wider now and the Aura plays more "free".
The additional air is very welcome to my ears and the sound of this system is incredible!
The x-over and tweeter are of kit of Quint-Store if someone is interested.
These speakers can play nearly each kind of music without detected lacking in any region.
I must say it again "Gentleman; give it a try!". It is so much speaker on such a small space.

This speaker is a beatuiful playground for everyone who want to test different stuffing behaviours;
tweaking the speaker with an active/passive XO or just for enjoying the minimalism of a well playing fullranger!

I hope this thread will get more pics and comments of happy builders.

On the weekend i visited a friend of mine with a CLIO-system to measure my Aura NS3 FHLite.
The plots i will not post because the measurement wasn't so reliable due to a very difficult room
and we are absolute beginners in measuring; please respect this fact!
We have seen that the "horn" is doing what it should and the enclosure is a lot better in direct comparison to the BR-enclosure.
The Aura is going to x-max at higher volume in the FHLite.
The impedance-measurement shows a really nice peak where it was expected without any additional peaks like on BR-enclosures.

The sound is much cleaner and "wider"...the words of my friend!

Personal conclusion:
It is really a nice well done enclosure. After several weekes of listening and now the data of the meausrement
i can say there is more than enthusiasm that i built it on my own.

Regards!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm in the build process for a pair of Frugelhorn Lites with the FF85WK's (ETF2015 is approaching...)

I'm stumbling over the stuffing instructions given in the pdf: "Take the equal density fluff on the right and squeeze it into the point (~18g = 0.61 oz )"

Here i'm stuck with necessary quantities of polyfluff:
- Does the orange zone get it's 18g of stuffing AND the green zone its 18gr of stuffing ?
- Does the front-zone get 24gr of polyfluff for the FF85WK driver ?

If someone could share his knowledge here, i'd be grateful.

PS: Many thanks to Planet10 for sharing the FH-Lite plans.

Kind regards,

Yves

Hello all,

I made a pair of FH Lite with vifa TC9FD-18-08, and they are VERY VERY GOOD. Smooth and extended sound, very detailed and natural. Non fatiguing.

The amp is an ACA (thanks Mr Pass) and the combo sounds very well, 6w is enough for most music and movies.

They are revealing speakers. If music is bad recorded, sounds really bad, with the best ones they are amazing. In "Skating away" Ian anderson is having breakfast beside me!!.

If you want a small, cheap and high WAF pair of speakers, this is one of the best. Not so difficult to make, a jigsaw is enough (jigsaw + router is all i used).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Really small and nice looking, the red one is a Tabaq

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you for a great design

And sorry for my English :)

Victor

This is the measurement I made this morning. I'm learning how to use REW, if something is wrong please tell me.

FH Lite Vifa TC9FD-18-08. Speakers side by side, mic placed 1 meter apart. Multimeter reads about 4v during sweep. Smoothing 1/12.

Sensitivity is around 88dB at 2,83v, both speakers driven.

Again thanks to all who made Frugelhorn series possible

Victor

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm giving my two-thumbs-up for the FH-Lite with the enabld Fostex FF85WK.
They are even more revealing/involving than the microFonkens as they add the bottom grunt which seems to be necessary for a more spatial 3-D image.

The subjective sound pressure levels are astonishingly high for that small 3" driver.
The better the sound source, the better the FH Lites get.

The FF85WK's seem to prefer no-feedback triode amps like a 2A3 which makes them shine and reveals the 3D soundstage they are able to reproduce.

I've had no luck trying a Mullard 3-3 (EL84 pentode w/feedback).
The FF125WK (in another enclosure) are quite the opposite: they benefit from a feedback pentode amp and sound rather dull on a 2A3.

Thanks to Planet10 for sharing this gem with us!
I'm happy to take them with me to the ETF2015.

Kind regards,

Yves

GR Research LGK In Frugel-Horn Lite

I had these drivers from another project and I was looking for something else to try them in. Boy, am I glad I did! It didn't hurt that my neighborhood Rockler was selling 1/2" birch-ply for $19.99/sheet. Went exactly by the plans minus stuffing below the driver. Using a Linaeum tweeter crossed with just a cap for a little more top end air although these drivers go pretty high.
LGK 1.0
Thanks to David Dlugos for a great design and lots of help

Thank you Dave, Chris and Scott for this wonderful and good sounding design. After lurking about the forums i came across the fhorn site. Perfect for my first speaker project.
I used 11mil BB for the gables and 18 mil BB for the top, front and bottom. All internal dimensions as per plan. I put a 1/4" x1/8" tenon on the fold and matching dado on the gables for location and gluing surface. The front has a 1/2" x 1/2" rebate. I used clamps for the initial pressure then staples and screws so I could keep going while the glue set. After a quick coat of sealer on the exposed birch, they were covered with a gloss lime/green laminate from Abet laminati.
In hindsight i should have housed some earth magnets under the laminate and milled some grills for when the little ones come around.
I'm also debating whether i should put inserts in the bottom and arc a piece of 12" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" anodized aluminum for the front and murakoshi bolts at the back.
I have some grainy photos on my phone but I don't know how to attach them

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have some grainy photos on my phone but I don't know how to attach them

Easy :)

To add a photo, files or non standard files.

First click "go advanced" in the box below the "quick reply" message box. Doesn't matter if you decide half way through a message to do that, it carries it forward.

Then click "Manage attachments". Maximise the new Window so that you can see all the text.

Click browse in the first box at the top and find your picture. Repeat for any more pictures.
Click upload... a message appears "uploading"
When complete the files will show as being attached. Now click the small text that says "close this window"

The pictures should now be attached and when you submit your post they will appear.

Make sure your pics aren't too big, a couple of 100k is plenty, and many members object when they are massive and it alters the margins
It tells you in the attachments window what max sizes are allowed.

If you want to attach a file that has a non standard format for example excel, circuit simulation etc then try putting the files in a zipped folder and attaching that.