Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 7th July 2015, 02:16 PM   #21
S4m is offline S4m  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much
Old 15th July 2015, 09:49 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,

My FHLite have played now each day several hours with different type of acoustical input.
My personal opinion about this build:

1.) The Aura NS3 are the correct speaker for everyone who tries to achieve a lot of bass out of a small enclosure.
I listened from classical - electronic - synth - rock - metal a lot of stuff and they played everything in a really nice manner.

The downside of this speaker are the missing heights, so an additional tweeter or small fullrange-speaker is recommended.
IMHO they are playing well below 3.5kHz.

2.) I also have two pairs of the Fountek FE85 on hand and they are suggested by P10 for usage.
The first songs had been a pain for my ears so they get a continuous run through the night.
I'm really amazed of the performance of these small fullrangers.
Vocals, 3-dimensional instruments in the room, the soundstage itself, all these typical nice terms used in glossy magazines are coming to my mind!

But also for this speaker there is a downside. They are lacking in everything below 300Hz.
I added an openbaffle 10" woofer per side and the resulting sound was astonishing good!

Conclusion
IMHO the no-boxing sound of the FHLite invites to play with OB solutions if someone is missing a type of frequency-range.
We are talking about very small fullrange-speakers, so there will be always a compromise due to the personal taste.
I hope more people will give these high WAF floorstanders a chance.
They are a good solution for smaller rooms [~20m] and a low budget.
The sweetspot of 3" speakers is not as narrow as of the bigger siblings and they are playing much bigger then they are.

Regards, S4M
Old 15th July 2015, 01:25 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Great write up...thanks!!

I've only tried the Fostex 85's...the one thing I've noticed with those drivers are that they produce just enough bass (in both the Lance and the Lite's) that it's easy to blend in a sub to cover the bottom end...

For me...no tweeter is needed
Old 15th July 2015, 02:29 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Both drivers i had to hand are not really made for fullrange application in my opinion.
The Aura is a simple woofer who plays in a very wide range. A friend of mine likes the sound of the Aura without a tweeter.

The Fountek is a complete different type of driver and seems to be comparable (by TSP) with the Fostex 85.
If the bottom end is not needed this driver in combination with the FHLite is amazing.
Depends on your taste of music and expectations. By higher volume a little punch was missing on normal volume i enjoyed them without additional woofers.
I imagine the Fostex are playing in the same league.

I'm still amazed about the possibilities of these small speakers!
Need to make some experiments with the stuffing...
Old 21st July 2015, 06:48 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

I finished my tweeter section for the FHLite with the Aura NS3.

FHLite_Aura_w_Tweeter.jpg

Of course the soundstage is much wider now and the Aura plays more "free".
The additional air is very welcome to my ears and the sound of this system is incredible!
The x-over and tweeter are of kit of Quint-Store if someone is interested.
These speakers can play nearly each kind of music without detected lacking in any region.
I must say it again "Gentleman; give it a try!". It is so much speaker on such a small space.

This speaker is a beatuiful playground for everyone who want to test different stuffing behaviours;
tweaking the speaker with an active/passive XO or just for enjoying the minimalism of a well playing fullranger!

I hope this thread will get more pics and comments of happy builders.
Old 21st July 2015, 06:55 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx for the update. Before Chris brought by a set of A10.3 miniOnken i was using my FH-lite for awhile. I really like them.

dave
Old 21st July 2015, 08:27 PM   #27
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

And of course, if built as test mules with removable baffles to try out your favorite 3" driver(s) - you might raise your own eyebrows.
Old 27th July 2015, 09:27 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

On the weekend i visited a friend of mine with a CLIO-system to measure my Aura NS3 FHLite.
The plots i will not post because the measurement wasn't so reliable due to a very difficult room
and we are absolute beginners in measuring; please respect this fact!
We have seen that the "horn" is doing what it should and the enclosure is a lot better in direct comparison to the BR-enclosure.
The Aura is going to x-max at higher volume in the FHLite.
The impedance-measurement shows a really nice peak where it was expected without any additional peaks like on BR-enclosures.

The sound is much cleaner and "wider"...the words of my friend!

Personal conclusion:
It is really a nice well done enclosure. After several weekes of listening and now the data of the meausrement
i can say there is more than enthusiasm that i built it on my own.

Regards!
Old 17th September 2015, 08:17 AM   #29
dupyv is offline dupyv  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

I'm in the build process for a pair of Frugelhorn Lites with the FF85WK's (ETF2015 is approaching...)

I'm stumbling over the stuffing instructions given in the pdf: "Take the equal density fluff on the right and squeeze it into the point (~18g = 0.61 oz )"

Here i'm stuck with necessary quantities of polyfluff:
- Does the orange zone get it's 18g of stuffing AND the green zone its 18gr of stuffing ?
- Does the front-zone get 24gr of polyfluff for the FF85WK driver ?

If someone could share his knowledge here, i'd be grateful.

PS: Many thanks to Planet10 for sharing the FH-Lite plans.

Kind regards,

Yves
Old 17th September 2015, 07:15 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The green & the back orange get the same 18g.

The 24 g is the estimate for the FF85wk. How much you use in the end is also dependent on room placement and taste. More for less bass quantity (but perhaps a bit smoother).

dave

PS: i'm glad a pair will get to ETF.

Hide this!Advertise here!